Photography/Camera issue



  I have a question and don't know any professional photographers personally so, I am hoping you might be willing to give me some direction.  

  My camera (a Fuji Finepix S5000) has developed a white screen when you look through the viewer.  From what I've read, this is a mechanical issue that needs to be repaired by a professional.  

  I should mention that I'm not a professional photographer--just really enjoy taking personal photos.  I have had this camera for about 7 or 8 years and still haven't mastered it, but I love it and do want it fixed.  

  The problem is that I don't know what would be the most effective way to proceed.  I've written to Fuji twice and received form letters in response.  Do you think sending it through the mail to their repair center in New Jersey would be the best way to go or should I take it to a local camera shop?  I worry that the camera shop would add cost (which I understand they must do to stay in business) and that would make it's repair too expensive (Husband-speak--->If it's too expensive, just get another camera).  I also worry that sending it through the mail to some large repair facility might not be a good idea either--in case there are issues after it's return.

  When one of your cameras need repair, what do you do?  That's my question in a nutshell.

  Thank you for any advice you may offer.


First off.   I would contact the manufacturer and get the address for their factory repair service center and send it to them. If you send the camera through the mail you can always insure it against loss or if you use other shipping so that worry is eliminated.  I have always sent my cameras this way to the factory repair centers but I get a repair estimate first which any reputable shop will give you.  If they don't want to give you an estimate first then I would not be to quick to send it to them or to use them to begin with.  

While it is true some unethical shop may add charges but if you get an estimate first you know what to expect but no reputable business is going to do this therefore I would stick with a factory repair service or a place like Adorama or B & H Photo in New York. Large outfits like them don't do that and you can rest assured you will be getting treated fairly.

To answer your question, Yes I think sending it to Fugi would be your best bet and if the estimate is too much, then I would just go out and buy one of the newer cameras on the market.  Chances are if yours is more than a year old you would be better off doing this to begin with for they are always updating and improving the one you have.  I hope this helps you to make up your mind and you can get back to shooting pictures soon.



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard C Furman


Photography and Wood Working


Experience in Photography since High school in 1958 Wood Working since 1958 and as a professional Wood Crafter for the us civil Service Commision for 20 years. Before that I built houses

Member Photography Socity of America. Member Photography club of Beaufort. Active member of where some of my posted pictures can be seen


High School, Photography courses and Wood working at Beaufort Technical college Beaufort, SC. I studied photography with several local photographers in the 1960s and 70s as well as photo lab work

Awards and Honors
have won several awards in wood working and Photography as well as sold many pieces I built. I have sold many Photos I have created

Past/Present Clients
prefer not to list due to their privacy

©2017 All rights reserved.