Photography/amateur camera question

Question
Good Morning Mr. Staubus,
I want to start freelancing and was wondering where to start with digital cameras.
I'm sure you get this a lot, and it is a very involved answer.
But I am looking for your personal opinion...
Any advice would be awesome...

Thank you!!!

~Briana

Answer
"Freelance" is very, very difficult and usually take 5+ years to get established.  Most freelance people I know first started working for a newspaper, ad agency, wedding photographer, etc. for 5-10 years first.  Photography is all about marketing more than it is about photography.  You are selling, constantly selling.  Cameras are about the least important thing.  "Freelance" is pretty vague and broad, but you will want two cameras (always have a back up.)  Depending on what you are planning on shooting, I'd the minimum would be two Nikon D800 cameras.  Lenses are more important than cameras.  A standard line up would be a Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR, a Sigma 85mm f1.4, and a Nikon 16-35mm f4 (you can save a lot of money with that lens instead of the much more expensive Nikon 14-24mm f2.8.)  Flash is crucial for most kinds of photography.  For formal portraits or even product shots I'd suggest at least two Nikon SB-910, and two Alien Bee Einstein lights with radio triggers, lightstands, and some nice modifiers. Then there is software--Adobe CS6 is the standard.  To run that, I'd budget about $1,000 for a computer and another $1,000 for a decent graphics monitor.  This all adds up pretty fast!  Again, depends on what you had in mind.

Good luck!
Kent in SD

Photography

Kent Staubus