Photography/hello again!!

Good evening Dave!
I'm glad to hear you appreciated the deserve it, your help/advice was really appreciated.
Also I wanted to let you know that I took your advice!...I didn't get a fixed lens.  Nothing too crash but I got
A Canon EOS Rebel T3 1100D....not quite sure what that all means...yet!...I don't have a computer at home for the moment
So I haven't been able to do much research for this camera...yet!! ha
But I took it on a pheasant hunt yesterday with a bunch of friends and started much more manually involved then
I thought...but I love it!
I was wondering if you could give me an advice on what or where to start to start learning how to effectively use the camera.
I believe strongly that experience is knowledge...but I know that your knowledge of this facet of life would be much more helpful
Until I start practicing more.....
What do you say??  Haha..thank you always!!

Hi Again Briana!

Good choice! The Rebel T3 is a fine and adaptable camera that should give you years of enjoyable service. One of the best ways to learn more about using it would be to join (or start!) a camera club in your area... or to look for local "community education" classes about photography.

If these aren't possible, try searching Amazon or your local library for informative books like Tom Ang's "Photography." It's one of Dorling Kindersley's "Eyewitness Companions" guides, and is a beautiful general intro to photograhy... regardless of the camera used.

Third, if you search Amazon for the exact string "Rebel T3", you'll find many how-to books about your camera.

Also, the following sites can introduce you to the camera's controls:

And I'll conditionally recommend the camera's own manual, which might be better for looking up commands than learning how to use the camera!

I certainly hope these suggestions help!

Dave Powell

My specialty is highly atmospheric digital-infrared photography, and I'd love to answer questions about digital-IR equipment and procedures. I can also help people understand classic "old-photog" techniques (like "Sunny 16 Exposure" and "Hyperfocal Focusing")... which are still useful today. I can answer questions about processing, improving, manipulating, and printing digital photos with programs like Photoshop. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, and may be able to answer questions about making one's own photo equipment (such as DIY special-effect filters, close-up adapters, and pin-hole cameras); about doing super-closeup macro photography (film or digital); and about using older lenses on cameras made by different manufacturers (such as Nikon lenses on Canon bodies and Pentax lenses on Olympus bodies. I can answer general purchasing questions, such as "Can any of the digital SLRs use my old Minolta film lenses?" But as others have noted, nobody can identify the "best" camera for another person. That calls for extensive web research plus hands-on time in a good camera store. (But I can point to great web resources for doing this research!)

Over the past 40 years, I've used a huge variety of film cameras (SLR, rangefinder, point-and-shoot, high-end, fantastique-plastique, fully manual, highly automated, 35mm, 110, medium format, Polaroid, folding, even homemade pinhole). I've used digital cameras since the late 1990s (began when I was writing user manuals for Polaroidís digital cameras). I've also won juried photo competitions in the Boston area, and have exhibited and sold original prints. (Amazingly, my best-selling print was taken with a lowly 0.8-megapixel camera, and very carefully processed to print at 12x18 inches!) Iíve taught local adult-ed classes about digital cameras, Photoshop image processing, and better photography through self-understanding. Iíve contributed to Popular Photographyís tips and tricks column, and am currently writing a book about taking better photos through self-understanding.

Popular Photography (tips and tricks column), plus dozens of magazines and blog sites that have carried my bylined articles about computers, networking, information security, and eLearning.

Masters in Science Communications, Boston University, 1980. Bachelors in Mathematics, Denison University, 1970.

I've won several juried photo competitions in the Boston area, and have exhibited and sold original prints... especially digital-infrared landscapes, architectural abstracts, and cityscapes. I've also won multiple international awards in the technical-writing field... including a business press equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize. And I've even written for Sesame Street!

Winchester Recreation Department (taught photography classes) Jenks Senior Center (taught photography and Photoshop classes) Polaroid (wrote their digital-camera user manuals until they entered Chapter 11)