Photography/Ques....

Question
Good day
Is it possible to make images and photos greater than 300 dpi in photoshop and how different would a 600 dpi be than a 300 dpi. Is so what would be maximum dpi and what type of situations and applications use dpi's greater than 300 dpi.
Finally where and how does one print images greater than 300 dpi - most printers dont.

Answer
Hello!

Your question slightly reflects a widely held misconception about DPI! An image file is nothing more than a matrix of colored pixels. The initial horizontal and vertical pixel counts of that matrix are determined by the megapixel rating and resolution setting of your camera. Images created by digital cameras have no DPI parameter... only a discrete number of discrete pixels in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

Of course, you can then "upscale" or "downscale" an image's size using Photoshop's Image > Image Size > Resample Image setting (with Constrain Proportions selected). This applies mathematical interpolation to increase or decrease the actual number of pixels in the image matrix, but Photoshop itself does not control any "dot-per-inch" image parameter.

That's because DPI is strictly an output parameter! It's the resolution at which a printer outputs the image's pixel matrix onto paper or some other medium. In Photoshop's Image > Image Size window, if you deselect the Constrain Proportions box, enter a different value in the Resolution field, and click OK, Photoshop actually does nothing to the image itself. It simply tells you what its output dimensions would be if it were printed at the new dot-per-inch resolution you entered.

And your question seems to indicate that you are aware of all this. But I wanted to clarify it for others who might need to know.

You seen more interested, in fact, in the effects of DPI on image quality.  Most photo printers (including your local lab or drugstore) prefer to output images at either 240 or 300 DPI. And you can estimate how big an image will print on their equipment by opening the image in Photoshop, deselecting Constrain Proportions, and entering the DPI resolution that the company printing your photo plans to use. (And if you have a local lab, and want to output an image at (say) 600 DPI, go ahead and ask them! My little mom-and-pop lab just down the street can do it, so yours should too.)  

Similarly, you can use Photoshop to estimate the size of an image that's output on your home printer... at any DPI resolution it supports. My printer can go up to 1800 DPI, but yours may have a different maximum.

Changing your printer's DPI setting will indeed affect both the output image's size and its quality. Reducing the printer's DPI/resolution will produce larger prints that eventually look decreasingly sharp. (Some photographers output at only 72 DPI when they want a mural-sized print. And in that case, their print may look terribly pixelated when viewed up close, but just fine from farther away.)

Similarly, increasing the output DPI from 300 to 600 or more will result in ever smaller prints that may look increasingly sharp, but decreasingly detailed. (An old photographers' trick for fixing slightly "soft" images is to print them smaller... using a higher DPI resolution.)

But the medium you print on also affects apparent output quality. Non-glossy paper, for instance, allows inkjet droplets to "spread" more than glossy paper. And as a result, while an inkjet print at 300 DPI may look wonderful, the same 300-DPI print on non-glossy paper may look "caked" or "blotchy." And even 1800 DPI can be used on mylar, glass, or another low-spread medium.

And your last question ("where and how does one print images greater than 300 dpi - most printers dont." ) raises a counter question in my mind! By printing at greater than 300 DPI, are you hoping to produce a larger print or a smaller one? If smaller , then you will get what you want. But if larger , you'll need to either reduce the output DPI to get the larger print... or add many more pixels to the image file itself with Photoshop's Resample Image, and then print at 300 DPI or higher.

I certainly hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Dave

Photography

Dave Powell