Dear Expert,

I read about lyrical abstraction in painting. Do we have lyricism in photography? Can we call an image or a photo lyrical? How?

I will be thankful for your answer.

You can call a photograph lyrical if it sings to you.
A lyrical abstraction has what qualities? Identify those qualities and apply them to photos.
It is a good way to waste one's life instead of trying simply to be open to images and to respond to them. Of course that won't happen to often because most photographers are basically clueless about notions of art, color and composition that would constitute a "lyrical" photograph. Most would tell you that their sunset photos are lyrical, but they are wrong they are at best just poor copies of 19th century Romanticism.

Steve Meltzer

I am a professional photographer and I've been shooting for newspapers, magazines, commercial clients and artists for over 30 years. I have shot stock photography for dozens of years and in 1977 created West Stock (Seattle, WA) which was one of the first to produce stock photo CDs and later one of the first to establish an online stock photo slaes site. I have a new book on digital photography "PHOTOGRAPHING ARTS, CRAFTS AND COLLECTIBLES (Lark Books, 2007)which is available at, and in bookstores like Barnes & Noble and Borders. I have another book, CAPTURE THE LIGHT which will be puiblished in November, 2008. I write 20-30 feature articles and columns for regional and national publications a year. My education includes studying with photographers like Cornell Capa, Duane Michels and Oliver Gagliani (from the Ansel Adams Center.)