Photography/Wyatt Earp tin type

If this is a tin type, then the image should be reversed, right? But Wyatt Earp seems to have liked this position for photographs, 1/4 view from his left side. It looks like Wyatt was going bald. But who was going to tell him? Not me!

Hello Ted,

Thanks for your question. I don't know much about tintypes. They are another name for ferrotypes. The emulsion is supported on japanned tin and developed in iron.
Tintypes were an early form of photography from about 1850 onwards. I suggest you check with a History of Photography or a Photo Gallery in your area.

For other tips on photography, please view my website or see my page at the Saatchi Gallery, London.

Lawrence Marshall

Lawrence Marshall

Can answer questions about many areas.Portaiture,Glamour,Landscapes,Live rock bands, Publicty, Editorial and Fine Art Photography. B&W exposure,processing and printing and the materials involved.Toning and dying B&W materials,especially the Colorvir process.Using High contrast ortho film.Intaglio printmaking.Presentation of Photographs.Exhibiting Photography.Photographing Paintings and other two dimensional Art.

Thirty years experience. Freelance work in Editorial,Publicity, Portraiture,Landscape,Rock and Roll, Weddings in 6x6 and 35mm. Black and white processing, printing and toning.Intaglio printing and the Colorvir system of toners and dyes for B&W prints.

Western Australian College of Teaching. Saatchi Gallery (London). Art Gallery Australia.

Western Review

Certificate in Photography. Bachelor of Arts Degree,Diploma in Education.Giving regular One day Workshops in Photography in Western Australia. Various seminars in film-based Photography.Registered and practising Secondary teacher