Photography/Photography Posing

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my questions.  I appreciate it very much!

I have been interested in photography now for five years.  I would eventually like to pursue a career out of it.  Currently, I am  trying to develop my portraiture skills.  My goal is to take a flattering portrait that captures the individual's own beauty and personality.  

I want to make my subjects look as good as possible, however, I find it very challenging when the subjects themselves are larger or plus-sized.  As a plus-sized gal myself, I know the feeling it's like suffer from post-picture shame, embarrassment, and self-loathing.  

Do you have any tips or techniques of how to pose plus-sized people in flattering ways?

I appreciate your insights.  Have a great day!

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your question. I think you could try posing your sitter in a chair that hides most of their body ie place the camera behind them and have them looking over the back of the chair at the camera. Another possibility is to have them standing behind some furniture eg a kitchen bar or counter and photograph them from waist up or chest up.

I hope this is of help.

For other tips on Photography please visit my website

Lawrence Marshall

Lawrence Marshall

Can answer questions about many areas.Portaiture,Glamour,Landscapes,Live rock bands, Publicty, Editorial and Fine Art Photography. B&W exposure,processing and printing and the materials involved.Toning and dying B&W materials,especially the Colorvir process.Using High contrast ortho film.Intaglio printmaking.Presentation of Photographs.Exhibiting Photography.Photographing Paintings and other two dimensional Art.

Thirty years experience. Freelance work in Editorial,Publicity, Portraiture,Landscape,Rock and Roll, Weddings in 6x6 and 35mm. Black and white processing, printing and toning.Intaglio printing and the Colorvir system of toners and dyes for B&W prints.

Western Australian College of Teaching. Saatchi Gallery (London). Art Gallery Australia.

Western Review

Certificate in Photography. Bachelor of Arts Degree,Diploma in Education.Giving regular One day Workshops in Photography in Western Australia. Various seminars in film-based Photography.Registered and practising Secondary teacher