Photography/What kind of photography?

I hope that I can explain this in a way that you can answer my question. I have for quite some time been trying to find out either what process is used or at least a term for searching for a portrait of my daughter that was taken twenty years ago and it is the only one I have ever seen like it as far as portraits. However when I was young in the seventies photo albums often had photos on the front like them. They kind of look 3D and have a texture of many tiny ridges similar to a vinyl record. The portrait of my daughter seems to stand out from the background and move when the photo is turned back and forth.

Hi Tina!

They're called "lenticular" photos (or sometimes "flicker photos"). Several separate images are "interlaced" in thin slices behind and parallel with the plastic ridges. And when you tilt everything, you see different sets of slices... different images.... or a single image that appears to move. The technique can also create the 3D effect you've seen.

With effort, you can locate labs that still do them. My old college just sent its alumni luggage tags made in this way. Here's the Wiki page about the general technology:

<a href="">

And, in fact, you can even make them at home! Just search Google for the phrase "make lenticular prints at home" (in quotes) to find lots of directions.

Have fun if you try!

Dave Powell

My specialty is highly atmospheric digital-infrared photography, and I'd love to answer questions about digital-IR equipment and procedures. I can also help people understand classic "old-photog" techniques (like "Sunny 16 Exposure" and "Hyperfocal Focusing")... which are still useful today. I can answer questions about processing, improving, manipulating, and printing digital photos with programs like Photoshop. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, and may be able to answer questions about making one's own photo equipment (such as DIY special-effect filters, close-up adapters, and pin-hole cameras); about doing super-closeup macro photography (film or digital); and about using older lenses on cameras made by different manufacturers (such as Nikon lenses on Canon bodies and Pentax lenses on Olympus bodies. I can answer general purchasing questions, such as "Can any of the digital SLRs use my old Minolta film lenses?" But as others have noted, nobody can identify the "best" camera for another person. That calls for extensive web research plus hands-on time in a good camera store. (But I can point to great web resources for doing this research!)

Over the past 40 years, I've used a huge variety of film cameras (SLR, rangefinder, point-and-shoot, high-end, fantastique-plastique, fully manual, highly automated, 35mm, 110, medium format, Polaroid, folding, even homemade pinhole). I've used digital cameras since the late 1990s (began when I was writing user manuals for Polaroidís digital cameras). I've also won juried photo competitions in the Boston area, and have exhibited and sold original prints. (Amazingly, my best-selling print was taken with a lowly 0.8-megapixel camera, and very carefully processed to print at 12x18 inches!) Iíve taught local adult-ed classes about digital cameras, Photoshop image processing, and better photography through self-understanding. Iíve contributed to Popular Photographyís tips and tricks column, and am currently writing a book about taking better photos through self-understanding.

Popular Photography (tips and tricks column), plus dozens of magazines and blog sites that have carried my bylined articles about computers, networking, information security, and eLearning.

Masters in Science Communications, Boston University, 1980. Bachelors in Mathematics, Denison University, 1970.

I've won several juried photo competitions in the Boston area, and have exhibited and sold original prints... especially digital-infrared landscapes, architectural abstracts, and cityscapes. I've also won multiple international awards in the technical-writing field... including a business press equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize. And I've even written for Sesame Street!

Winchester Recreation Department (taught photography classes) Jenks Senior Center (taught photography and Photoshop classes) Polaroid (wrote their digital-camera user manuals until they entered Chapter 11)