Photography/Home Studio

Hi Richard!
I am looking to start taking some photos in my home in a home studio. I am looking to buy the necessary equipment but am not sure where to start. I've been taking outdoor photos for sometime now, but would like to try out a studio.
I currently have a Canon Rebel XS, 18-55mm lens, 50mm lens, and an external flash/speedlight. I found this on Amazon and was wondering if it had all the necessary equipment I need to get started:

I saw that I need to buy clamps as well as maybe a few other backdrops or props, but other than that is there anything else I need? I'm going to be taking photos of my kids to start off practicing. What about things like a softbox or reflector disc, or wireless trigger? Or maybe another lens?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Erin,

It is kind of hard to answer this question without knowing you and your budget and all but I will give it a shot.

Going by your camera and choice of lighting equipment there, I can see you are not investing in professional quality equipment so I will take it you want to keep your budget low so I will go from there.

That kit may be okay if you are trying to buy the very least to get by on but it is very low quality and you may not get very good results with it.  

If I were you, I would go to and look around there.  They offer some low budget kits that are superior to what Amazon is offering in that kit for good prices. B&H is a professional store but they offer some quality beginners equipment that will give good results.

Richard C Furman

Photography and Wood Working

Experience in Photography since High school in 1958 Wood Working since 1958 and as a professional Wood Crafter for the us civil Service Commision for 20 years. Before that I built houses

Member Photography Socity of America. Member Photography club of Beaufort. Active member of where some of my posted pictures can be seen

High School, Photography courses and Wood working at Beaufort Technical college Beaufort, SC. I studied photography with several local photographers in the 1960s and 70s as well as photo lab work

have won several awards in wood working and Photography as well as sold many pieces I built. I have sold many Photos I have created

prefer not to list due to their privacy