Photography/Background Photo Image/s Capturing.

Digital Camera
Digital Camera  
QUESTION: Dear Steve

1.Is it possible to capture/take background photos similarly when we look in a mirror. i.e. Through Mirror camera lens, we are able to view background i.e. objects which are behind us at a distance.

As a example,

Trees, Trains, Ships etc.

2. Can there be any advantages for a camera constructed by increasing the Camera Height to give us twice the area of the camera rectangle. i.e. Top Rectangle and Bottom Rectangle. The Viewing Glass and Lens are present on both the sides of the camera but they are diagonally opposite. The Top Rectangle will be the same as attached in the figure. The Bottom Rectangle will have the Lens on the opposite side of the Top Rectangle and viewing image glass will be on the opposite side of the Top rectangle. Both are diagonally opposite ?.

i.e. One can Hold Digital Camera from either side and take photos.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: 1. A tripod with a bracket for two cameras would solve this problem. But I can thing of no possible use for a camera that takes two images front and back in the same frame.

2. No advantage at all. With Photoshop any frame can be cropped to any shape.

Think about it. It is hard enough for most people to take good pictures. What advantage is there to your ideas for these people.

Find something to make photography simpler for people and or specific uses rather than more complex and "Rube Goldberg"-ish..

QUESTION: Dear Steve

Thank you.

Sorry for the confusion in the image created from my end.

The Top Rectangle will allow us to view the front i.e. Objects in front of us which is the default mode while the Bottom rectangle will allow us to
view the background objects i.e. objects which are behind us since the viewing glass and lens are just opposite placed that of the Top Rectangle.

Will this work ?. Do you also feel the Bottom and Top Rectangle can be useful if interchanged ?.

The camera has to be hold in the hand at some distance so that our own
body doesn't come while taking photo image from the other side.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Why? Why have two images. Why is it not simpler to just turn around and shoot what is behind you? I see no reason or use for the two rectangles or this device or the idea at all.  

Unless you have a good reason and some use for this device, do not spend a lot of time on it.

Go out and have a coffee at a cafe in the evening and laugh with friends. It is a far better use of your time than these ideas.

Steve Meltzer

I am a professional photographer and I've been shooting for newspapers, magazines, commercial clients and artists for over 30 years. I have shot stock photography for dozens of years and in 1977 created West Stock (Seattle, WA) which was one of the first to produce stock photo CDs and later one of the first to establish an online stock photo slaes site. I have a new book on digital photography "PHOTOGRAPHING ARTS, CRAFTS AND COLLECTIBLES (Lark Books, 2007)which is available at, and in bookstores like Barnes & Noble and Borders. I have another book, CAPTURE THE LIGHT which will be puiblished in November, 2008. I write 20-30 feature articles and columns for regional and national publications a year. My education includes studying with photographers like Cornell Capa, Duane Michels and Oliver Gagliani (from the Ansel Adams Center.)