Photography/Background Photo Image/s Capture.

Question
Digital camera
Digital camera  
QUESTION: Dear Pat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera

1.Is it possible to capture/take background photos similarly when we look in a mirror. i.e. Through Mirror camera lens, we are able to view background i.e. objects which are behind us at a distance.

As a example,

Trees, Trains, Ships etc.

2. Can there be any advantages for a camera constructed by increasing the Camera Height to give us twice the area of the camera rectangle. i.e. Top Rectangle and Bottom Rectangle. The Viewing Glass and Lens are present on both the sides of the camera but they are diagonally opposite. The Top Rectangle will be the same as attached in the figure. The Bottom Rectangle will have the Lens on the opposite side of the Top Rectangle and viewing image glass will be on the opposite side of the Top rectangle. Both are diagonally opposite ?.  

i.e. One can Hold Digital Camera from either side and take photos.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hello, Prashant,

I find your questions somewhat confusing. But I'll take a guess as to what you meant, and answer that question.

For your first question, are you suggesting you want a mirror image of what you see before you? If so, the way you do it is to take the picture normally, then put the file into a paint program, display the image, and then use the mirror flip capability to make the image a mirror image.

If you are suggesting that you should be able to take pictures behind you, then unless you have a mirror to aim the camera toward, you won't be able to do that. I have occasionally taken a picture by aiming the camera at the rear view mirror of my car.

For your second question, I am at a loss, even with the diagram. If you mean can a person take a vertical image, the answer is yes. You hold the camera vertically and take a picture. If you want the vertical image to be larger than the horizontal image would be without the camera moved to the vertical position, you need a camera with a larger sensor. One other thing comes to mind. Hasselblad has camera backs that make square images. Regardless of whether you prefer a vertical or horizontal composition, the image is square, and you can crop it accordingly later.

If you want to try explaining your questions in another way, feel free. Other than that, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Sorry I can't help you more.

Take care.

QUESTION: Dear Pat

Thank you.

Sorry for the confusion in the image created from my end.

The Top Rectangle will allow us to view the front i.e. Objects in front of us which is the default mode while the Bottom rectangle will allow us to
view the background objects i.e. objects which are behind us since the viewing glass and lens are just opposite placed that of the Top Rectangle.

Will this work ?. Do you also feel the Bottom and Top Rectangle can be useful if interchanged ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hello, Prashant,

I'm afraid that doesn't help much. You can't see things behind you with a camera held in front of your face because your body is in the way.

There is one device you may not be aware of, that I would like to bring to your attention. This is the light field camera. You can learn about this camera here:

https://www.lytro.com/‎

The reason I thought of this is because you talked about seeing what is in front of us, and what is in the background. This camera doesn't allow you to see what is behind your body, but it does give you some view of what is behind the object closest to you.

I still don't understand the reason why you are looking for these devices. If you can explain why you are interested in them, it might help me figure out what you are trying to explain.

Take care.

QUESTION: Dear Pat

Thank you.

The camera has to be hold in the hand at some distance so that our own body doesn't come while taking photo image from the other side of camera.

So the camera will provide us two images viz front and back view.
Of course, to take the back view photo, one can move to the other side
and take photos.

1. As a experienced photographer, do you feel cameras taking photos of the background view as well as the front view could be useful in some real life applications ?.

i.e. Taking Photos of images which are behind us without moving the camera.

2. Other than the above design explored from my end, can there be also some other way viz mirror lens to capture background view.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello, Prashant,

They don't make cameras like that to my knowledge. The only thing that comes close is traffic cameras, and they use two cameras for that. You probably don't have traffic cameras in India. But they are cameras designed to photograph the license plate and driver's face, in cars that exceed the speed limit or run a red light. The photos are used to give people tickets. I hope you never get them in India. They are a menace, and all they're for is to make money from innocent people.

The best solution would be to mount two cameras back to back, put them on a tripod, step to the side, and use cable release for both of them. No need to have a single camera to do that job. And I don't see an application for such a device. I doubt of there would be a market for it.

A mirror lens is something different. It is constructed like a mirror telescope. There is a parabolic mirror of a reasonable size, with a hole in the middle, on the end of the lens next to the camera. There is another mirror in the middle of the glass on the end that faces the scene. Light enters through the glass, is reflected off the mirror in the back, and then off the mirror in the glass, and then into the camera. It shortens the size and lightens the weight of the lens. I have one like that, a 600mm. Normally, such a lens would be long and heavy. This one is light and large in diameter. In other words, the entire lens is the diameter of the wide end of a normal 600mm telephoto lens. I have used it to take successful pictures of butterflies. The two drawbacks are that you can't stop down the lens (it's fixed aperture) and the depth of field is poor. Some people don't like the donuts in the bokeh, for bright spots.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819771-REG/Rokinon_800M_B_800_mm_f_8_0_Mir

These are based on the very same principles as mirror telescopes. For more information, see this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catadioptric_system

There are a couple of pictures of mirror lenses on cameras.

What you seem to be describing needs a different name. Since as far as I know no such device exists, you are free to invent your own name. But the only way I can see to do it is to have a transparent sensor with surfaces on both sides (the technology for a transparent sensor doesn't exist to the best of my knowledge), mounted in the center of a camera that holds a lens on each side. Might as well have two cameras, because it wouldn't be any more expensive, and would probably be cheaper.

Photography

Pat G