Photography/Camera Interfacing with Portable Printer.

Question
Dear Dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/portable-printer
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389136,00.asp
http://www.woosim.com/english/00_main/main.jsp

Requirement
-----------

Photo image/s captured on the digital camera device has to be taken a hard copy immediately on paper roll.

1. Can Digital Camera's interface with portable printers via a USB interface cable suffice the above requirement ?. Print button on the digital camera will allow the selected image/s to print on the portable printers.

2. Are there cameras available which have a inbuilt printing facility ?.

i.e. Without connecting to a portable printer, a outlet mechanism for the camera where photo image hard copy will be available (laser printer technology) through the outlet mechanism for the selected photo image ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Practically all of today's digital cameras already contain the ability to tell a remote printer which photos to print and how many copies of each to spit out. As you have surmised, though, the issue is that most of the printers that can cooperate are really too big to be considered "mobile." I certainly wouldn't want to lug around most of the printers shown in the links you sent!

I am personally aware of one camera-connectible printer for mobile use. Its underlying printing technology was being developed by the "original" Polaroid at the time they declared bankruptcy. (I was working for them when that happened, which is how I learned about the technology.)

After their bankruptcy, the "Polaroid" name devolved into a privately licensable trademark, and you can still find new "Polaroid" cameras and equipment on the market. Though thse devices aren't necessarily bad, they also aren't made by the original company that everyone knew and loved!

And one of these systems is the "Polaroid PoGo Mobile Printer" (reviewed at <a href="http://www.trustedreviews.com/Polaroid-PoGo_Printer_review">). Also Google it. Look at some of the other links and videos about it. See if it's up to your needs!

And if it isn't, take heart. The Polaroid unit signals that other competitors will soon become (or already may be) available!  

I'm about to head out on a two-day vacation, and if you want to ask a followup question, I'd suggest holding off until Wednesday... when I am back.

But please do ask! And I'll do some more research while I'm away... maybe have more to add.

And thanks again for the great question, Prashan!

Sincerely,

Dave  

Photography

Dave Powell