Photography/Camera Interfacing with Portable Printer

Dear Akshay,2817,2389136,00.asp

Photo image/s captured on the digital camera device has to be taken a hard copy immediately on paper roll.

1. Can Digital Camera's interface with portable printers via a USB interface cable suffice the above requirement ?. Print button on the digital camera will allow the selected image/s to print on the portable printers.

2. Are there cameras available which have a inbuilt printing facility ?.

i.e. Without connecting to a portable printer, a outlet mechanism for the camera where photo image hard copy will be available (laser printer technology) through the outlet mechanism for the selected photo image ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant,

Sorry about rejecting the previous question, but it was rather long and difficult to understand.
This one's pretty straight forward though!

1. Yes, there's an industry standard called PictBridge that does exactly this:

If you've ever been to the Gateway of India or Juhu beach in Mumbai, you'll see photographers that use portable printers with compact digital cameras to give you instant prints in just this manner. Some of the better-known series are Canon's Selphy models, Epson's Picturemate and HPs Photosmart series.
As long as both the camera and the printer support PictBridge, the combination should work as you describe.

2. Well, Instant Cameras like Polaroid are still available in the market and Fuji still sells film for these cameras. If you Google "Instant Camera" you'll see quite a few results.
There are also other ways to do this, at least within a studio environment or through Wi-Fi. One could set up a digital camera with an Eye-Fi card and have a computer attached to a printer print photos that are captured, although the whole setup would be tedious to devise.

Check out Eye-Fi cards here:
These cards allow you to wirelessly transfer photos taken in a camera directly to a computer without the hassle of cables.

Hope that helps.

Happy Shooting!

Akshay Singh Jamwal

I'm a professional photographer and I can answer questions questions relating to SLRs (35mm or DSLRs) and general photographic technique. I'll be happy to share my knowledge with anybody who's looking to learn or is just plain confused about something. Questions about studio lighting, studio flashes, and flashguns are also welcome. Questions about theory (e.g. colour theory, guidelines behind composition, depth of field, etc.) are welcome as well. Digital photography also involves some amount of post-processing using an image editing application such as Adobe Photoshop; a program that I am proficient with. I cannot answer typical generic questions, viz. "Which is the best camera?," as the short and sweet answer to questions such as those is "There is no such thing." Furthermore, there is a lot of literature available on the web pertaining to the same. Also, please do not ask me for camera recommendations based on a budget.

I have been passionately taking photographs since I was 13 years old. In totality, I've been involved in photography in one way or another for over a decade. I've used various cameras (and lighting equipment) over the years, including but not limited to Minolta/Konica Minolta, Nikon, Canon, and Mamiya.

High school degree.