Photography/Value of a Leica IIIg 35mm rangefinder camera

Question
My aunt gave me her Leica IIIg screw mount rangefinder.  I also have an Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Summicron f-5cm 1:2 Nr 1255527 lens and an Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Elmar f=9cm 1:4  Nr 961132  with both lens caps & leather case. I was wondering  what kind of value their would be on the camera.
 I still have my old Argus 35mm rangefinder with an excellent lens that I used in my photography classes in college.
 Thank you for any information you can give me.  I'm sure my aunt would enjoy hearing the value of the camera.  She got me hooked on photography with all the slides of her trips around the world.
Kathleen Glielmi

Answer

Hello Kathleen,

The Leica IIIg was the last and arguably the best of the 35mm coupled rangefinder cameras produced by Leitz of Germany for screw mount lenses.  There's no lack of them out there, they appear on eBay week after week, and such a ready supply makes them difficult to sell sometimes, but they maintain relatively high value for their high quality.  A truly excellent fully functional Leica IIIg with proper matching Leitz 5cm normal lens (such as that Summicron) should go somewhere in the $700-$900 range in today's collectible camera market.  The Elmar 9cm portrait lens is exceedingly common I'm afraid, and probably only represents an additional $100 in value if it's in excellent shape.  If you can still use an Argus, then a Leica IIIg will seem like heaven!  Have fun!

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Photography

David Silver