Photography/Lenses for weddings?

Question
QUESTION: I have a Nikon D800 camera and I am looking for good wedding lenses, but money is an issue right now (after purchasing the camera). What are good (cheaper) lenses? Also could I return the D800, and get a cheaper crop sensor camera and still be able to do weddings? If so what crop lenses for Nikon do you recommend? I would appreciate your answer.

ANSWER: I am not a Nikon user, so cannot answer your question specifically re Nikon lenses.

In general, you will need the best quality lenses you can afford.

A medium range zoom would be my first option, then a long range zoom, then a wide angle zoom.  

This will give you the widest range of images at the weddings you photograph.

I would recommend that you have a full set of back up kit at the wedding.

Personally, I would not even contemplate photographing a wedding without a full professional level camera, a full set of lenses, and a full set of back up (two of everything).

I have worked at weddings when lenses have failed, mirrors have dropped out of cameras (fully serviced cameras), kit has been accidently dropped, and so on.  Without the back up, the job is over.  

QUESTION: How do pro photographers ever get their start? It sounds like you have to be rich to even try to become pro. How did you get your start, and more importantly how could you afford it?

Answer
This is a massive topic, I have seen it debated on lots of forums, both professional and amateur.

As a pro photographer, I can only warn you of the potential dangers of not doing things in what I would consider to be the 'professional way'.

The opinions of others differ tremendously, some will take the risks.  If you search the internet, it is full of stories from unhappy brides who booked photographers without full back up, full kit, full insurance, or the knowledge or expertise to complete the job they were hired for.  

Photography

Steve Ramsden