Photography/yesterday's question

I wrote to you yesterday in frustration--not a good idea for one to do.  I am calmer now  :O)  My D90 is a Nikon not a Canon.  I still can't get the remote to work outside.  Some little detail is causing it I expect.  My real frustration with the Nikon D90 is the poor quality of color in the photos as well as the sharpness.  I love to photograph beautiful flowers & add them to computer cards.  I used to make breathtaking ones with my Nikon Coolpix 4500.  2 years ago I drug the D90 in my backpack all over the jungles of Peru for 2 weeks & the resulting photos were so mediocre that I didn't show them  to anybody.  So last year when I did the Middle East for 2 weeks, I took a little Canon that fit into my pocket.  Made my trip much more pleasant.  The photos were not outstanding but okay.  Two men on the trip had D90s as well but didn't relate to my frustrations & seemed to love them.  I have tried every setting on the D90 to get true or at least beautiful colors, & tried touching them up in Photoshop, but they are very ho hum.  Maybe some DSLR class would help me?

Hi Kathie.

It's ok, all of us get frustrated with equipment occasionally. Especially when it doesn't quite work the way we expect it to. I hope you don't mind, but I rejected the earlier question so that I could just give you a single comprehensive answer.

The remote control that you mentioned in the previous question is presumably the ML-L3 infrared remote from Nikon. If you've picked up a third-party remote, note that some can be dicey and don't always work as advertised.

Regardless, most problems occur with these gadgets due to two reasons:

1. Near-dead battery on the remote, which limits it's range and signal strength.
2. The most common problem: Line-of-sight. The IR port on the D90 is right below the command dial (the dial you use to change program or scene modes, aperture/shutter priority etc.) on the front of the camera.
This means that you'll have to be facing the camera when triggering it.
More specifically, you'll have to be pointing the remote directly at the port, with no obstructions (including the lens) in-between.
This can be useful for self-portraits when coupled with the timer, but quite frustrating when you're trying to trigger it from behind the camera.

More to the point, you're probably frustrated because there's a large disparity between what you see with your eyes and what the camera 'sees'. I would highly recommend a photography workshop in your area. It need not be something centered around DSLRs.
If anything, most workshops that are advertised as "DSLR guides" -or some such- are usually less informative.
Ideally, look for a workshop or a class that teaches general photographic principles and technique. This will teach you much more than a workshop about DSLRs. Classes about photography teach you to look at scenes and pre-visualise what your resulting photographs would look like.
Buying a DSLR doesn't increase one's own skills, it'll only mean that you have a better tool with which to make photos. While I find the features on my mobile phone camera to be limiting, I use it quite frequently.

I have a D90 myself, it has served as a great workhorse for me.
If you like taking photographs of flowers, I would highly recommend a macro lens, or a telephoto lens that allows some close focusing. I can provide you with a few recommendations if you show me some photos you've taken, even with the other cameras that you seem to prefer using.

Also, please don't be afraid to share your photographs, even the ones you don't think are very good. Pick the 'best of the worst' if you have to, but it's always good to get suggestions on how you can improve. There are plenty of online platforms or forums that you can use. Flickr, deviantart, or even popular facebook groups are three that come to mind.

A DSLR class would also help, but it's much easier if you share them here. You can mark the question as private if you wish.
It would help immensely if you shared a few photos, especially the ones you feel lack colour or punch. Please feel free to post a follow-up question if you'd like!  

Akshay Singh Jamwal

I'm a professional photographer and I can answer questions questions relating to SLRs (35mm or DSLRs) and general photographic technique. I'll be happy to share my knowledge with anybody who's looking to learn or is just plain confused about something. Questions about studio lighting, studio flashes, and flashguns are also welcome. Questions about theory (e.g. colour theory, guidelines behind composition, depth of field, etc.) are welcome as well. Digital photography also involves some amount of post-processing using an image editing application such as Adobe Photoshop; a program that I am proficient with. I cannot answer typical generic questions, viz. "Which is the best camera?," as the short and sweet answer to questions such as those is "There is no such thing." Furthermore, there is a lot of literature available on the web pertaining to the same. Also, please do not ask me for camera recommendations based on a budget.

I have been passionately taking photographs since I was 13 years old. In totality, I've been involved in photography in one way or another for over a decade. I've used various cameras (and lighting equipment) over the years, including but not limited to Minolta/Konica Minolta, Nikon, Canon, and Mamiya.

High school degree.