Photography/Digital Camera and Video Projector Integrated Product

Dear Dave

Are there Products available in the market which combines the functionality of  Digital Camera and Video Projector ?.

In case not available, is it feasible to construct/manufacture this dual functionality product ?.

Do you feel there are advantages in combining both the features of Digital Camera and Video Projector in a single product ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,

I receive similar "combined function" questions quite often! And in fact, Nikon does offer a model:

Nikon's claims that this is the first camera ever with a built-in projector are untrue. I remember seeing a point-and-shoot several years ago that incorporated its own projector. I think it was either a Sony or Casio. If you want to pursue that line of research, those would be two good manufacturers to look into.

Now I don't know whether these units project both stills and videos. But I have to believe that if a camera can project both stills and videos on its own LCD screen, and if it can project its stills on a wall, then it can also project its videos. However, the kind of light needed to do that over long distances would probably make this application a "close-range" tool at best.

Over the years all kinds of technologies have been combined into cameras. Around 1995, I wrote the user manual for a Polaroid camera that was the first to include an internal modem. But now, we have cameras able to transfer wirelessly using WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC. And in fact, to answer your question about the feasibility of such combinations, I'd say that the best approach these days would be to use those comm technologies to send images wirelessly to any other kind of device that can receive WiFi, Bluetooth, or NFC. This would include flat-screen TVs, PCs, and other cameras... but heck, it could even include modern "digital refrigerators" that contain their own computers and LCD screens!

That seems to me to be the way of the future... rather than trying to pack other kinds of device functions into today's smaller camera bodies.

In fact, we're already going in this direction with smartphones that have increasingly capable cameras built in...along with WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC communications. So I very much fear that for most people who aren't professional photographers, digital cameras themselves may soon become "ancient relics of the past"!

Hope this answers your question, Prashant... and I see you've submitted another one. So let me take a look at it!

Dave Powell

My specialty is highly atmospheric digital-infrared photography, and I'd love to answer questions about digital-IR equipment and procedures. I can also help people understand classic "old-photog" techniques (like "Sunny 16 Exposure" and "Hyperfocal Focusing")... which are still useful today. I can answer questions about processing, improving, manipulating, and printing digital photos with programs like Photoshop. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, and may be able to answer questions about making one's own photo equipment (such as DIY special-effect filters, close-up adapters, and pin-hole cameras); about doing super-closeup macro photography (film or digital); and about using older lenses on cameras made by different manufacturers (such as Nikon lenses on Canon bodies and Pentax lenses on Olympus bodies. I can answer general purchasing questions, such as "Can any of the digital SLRs use my old Minolta film lenses?" But as others have noted, nobody can identify the "best" camera for another person. That calls for extensive web research plus hands-on time in a good camera store. (But I can point to great web resources for doing this research!)

Over the past 40 years, I've used a huge variety of film cameras (SLR, rangefinder, point-and-shoot, high-end, fantastique-plastique, fully manual, highly automated, 35mm, 110, medium format, Polaroid, folding, even homemade pinhole). I've used digital cameras since the late 1990s (began when I was writing user manuals for Polaroidís digital cameras). I've also won juried photo competitions in the Boston area, and have exhibited and sold original prints. (Amazingly, my best-selling print was taken with a lowly 0.8-megapixel camera, and very carefully processed to print at 12x18 inches!) Iíve taught local adult-ed classes about digital cameras, Photoshop image processing, and better photography through self-understanding. Iíve contributed to Popular Photographyís tips and tricks column, and am currently writing a book about taking better photos through self-understanding.

Popular Photography (tips and tricks column), plus dozens of magazines and blog sites that have carried my bylined articles about computers, networking, information security, and eLearning.

Masters in Science Communications, Boston University, 1980. Bachelors in Mathematics, Denison University, 1970.

I've won several juried photo competitions in the Boston area, and have exhibited and sold original prints... especially digital-infrared landscapes, architectural abstracts, and cityscapes. I've also won multiple international awards in the technical-writing field... including a business press equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize. And I've even written for Sesame Street!

Winchester Recreation Department (taught photography classes) Jenks Senior Center (taught photography and Photoshop classes) Polaroid (wrote their digital-camera user manuals until they entered Chapter 11)