Photography/Digital Camera and Video Projector Integrated Product.

Question
Dear Pat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_projector

Are there Products available in the market which combines the functionality of  Digital Camera and Video Projector ?.

In case not available, is it feasible to construct/manufacture this dual functionality product ?.

Do you feel there are advantages in combining both the features of Digital Camera and Video Projector in a single product ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello, Prashant,

My personal conclusion would be that there is no reason to combine the features of a Digital Camera with a Video Projector. If you can think of a way to do it, you still have to answer the question as to whether a person would WANT the two combined in a single unit. I personally can't imagine wanting to have these two functions in one unit. I want my digital camera to be portable, and a unit that also has a projector in it will be more bulky. I would have absolutely no reason to carry a projector into the field. I do a lot of nature photography, and in many cases, I have to carry everything that I want available to me, including camera and lenses. I can see the photo I just took on the display on the back of the camera. I haven't been making movies. My camera isn't really designed for that, and it would take up a lot of space on my flash drive. I take hundreds of pictures in one afternoon to get a few good ones. Some people use their cameras to take time lapse movies. I have yet to get involved in that. Regardless, if I did that, there would be no point in looking at the results at the time, because I would be unable to capture the same situation a second time if I didn't like the results.

In addition, if camera and projector are two separate units, I can buy different brands, or buy only one of them if my budget doesn't permit me to buy both at the same time.

If you want to introduce a new device, you have to examine the engineering required to see if it is feasible AND practical. Then you have to determine whether there is a market for the device. If any of these questions have to be answered "no", there is no point in trying to design one. It also helps if you research the market to see if a device already exists. These days, it takes a fairly large capital investment to design, manufacture, and sell quantities of a new device. While people can still invent things in their garage, it isn't nearly as common as it was, simply because our devices today are much more complex.

My husband used to design and build various devices for amateur radio. He built a transmitter, a video camera, a monitor, and an NTSC standard synch generator. Not long after he built the synch generator, someone came out with a complete unit on a single chip. At that point, he lost interest in designing and building anything new. Originally, radio amateurs designed and built a lot of equipment. Those days are long gone. Nowadays, people get into amateur radio to talk, or perform community service. They don't build their own devices anymore. Most of them would be unable to do so. And at one time, people had to be proficient in Morse code to get an amateur radio license. Morse code is no longer used for anything I know of. So it is no longer a requirement.

At this point, everything my husband ever designed and built is also horribly obsolete. This was before digital television. Essentially, the world has been turned upside down!

When I was in high school, I got the idea that would enable someone to build a flat screen TV. I described this in an essay that I submitted to the Westinghouse Science Talent Search. I also had to take a test. I got an honorable mention for this. This means I did not receive a scholarship, yet they recognized my work. Later on, someone actually DID design something such as I had described, built it, and now these devices are widespread. If I had had the money at the time to develop the idea, I might have become very rich. But that was simply not a possibility.

The lesson to be learned is that our devices have become sufficiently complex that it takes some fairly sophisticated factories to build devices, and it is no longer practical for people to design and build them at home. Unless a manufacturer sees a need for a unit such as you describe, it won't get designed and built.

If you are a young man and you want to go into the field of electronic design, you should get an advanced college degree and then get a job with a company that does this type of work. Since I am not the engineer in the family, I would be hard put to help you formulate a design for the gadgets you ask me about.

Photography

Pat G