Photography/setting up temporary indoor studio

Question
I am doing a couple indoor photo shoots in my living room with my new Canon PowerShot SX280 digital camera, this is for posting on my website and not for print so I'm using 1200x1600 pixels.

I am shooting models with various brightly colored clothes. My living room has plenty of light during the day and if it's overcast I will reschedule.

My first question is what type of easy to set up temporary backdrop to use -- would a king size bed sheet work, and if so, would black, white or some other color be better?

Secondly, are there any settings on the camera I should adjust or check for best results?

Thanks
Theo

Answer
Your best choice is to use a green screen as a backdrop.

For your computer get a program named "FX Home PhotoKey 6".  This program will remove the green screen and then you can put your subject on any background that you would like. Maybe, you have a collection of favorite outdoor scenes that you have taken that you could use.

As to camera settings, I don't know if your Canon PowerShot will take pictures in the RAW, but if it can, then that setting will allow you to fine tune your images.

Otherwise, just apply the basics: a good sharp focus point, adequate depth of field for your subject (I would guess about F stop 5.6, ISO not greater than 400, and shutter speed not less than 1/60 of second.  Any slower, and you should use a tripod.

Photography

Betty A. Muscott