Photography/Digital macro photograph

Hello Kent, I am a scientist and I have a Nikon coolpix 4500 that is attached to a special tube onto my microscope.  So I have set manually so I selected the focus from mi microscope then I take a photo.  But the camera died and I bought a used one that seems to work OK. However the photos at higher magnification (with my microscope) comes out of focus. I notice when I take the photo the camera goes a tiny bit back and force (like adjusting) and the takes the photo.  If it did not do that (the back and forth...) probably the photo will be ok.  I know some colleagues in Europe has the same system I have and to change it (the camera and implements) is over $5000 that I can not afford.

Any suggestion to take a photo in focus?

Thanks so much

This is something I don't know a lot about, but did do some micrographs when I was in college.  I think the camera is moving back and forth because it is trying to focus automatically.  Check your owner's manual and see if you can turn the autofocus off (i.e. place in manual focus.)  That would solve the problem, I think.  

Good luck!
Kent in SD

Kent Staubus

I am an experienced outdoor photographer My knowledge base includes digital Nikons, use of flash, vintage & historical cameras, and shooting both medium format and large format film. My specialty is night photography, both with or without flash set ups. I am primarily an outdoor photographer and shoot railroads, country churches, abandoned buildings, and candid people photos. I shoot a lot of travel photos in places like Canada, Scotland, Hawaii, Iceland, and of course the Northern Plains.

Have been taking photos daily for the past 15 years, with total experience of 26 years. I have had a number of photos in magazines, including a few cover shots. I am proficient with camera gear made from the 1850s to present.

TRAINS magazine, Railroads Illustrated Magazine

Bachelor Degree from University of Kansas