Photography/Property release

I am a location photographer gathering research for a book which takes me to six major cities around my home domain. Although the main focus is on the subject in the foreground, sometimes in the background an identifiable venue may pop up such as "Ernest Tubbs Record Shop or even McDonalds." My question is....because this may be for financial gain, to avoid further legal repercussions will I need a release of some sort from these businesses?

Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

You may need a Property Release from the businesses. This could become complex if the business is owned by one person and the property is owned by someone else. You should check the legal position in your country. A Publisher or advertising agency would know the position. I can't give specific advice here as I'm in a different country.

The only other suggestions I can offer are: 1) avoid including the business names etc in the background or 2) fade out the names etc using the depth of field control.

For other tips on Photography, please visit my website

Lawrence Marshall

Lawrence Marshall

Can answer questions about many areas.Portaiture,Glamour,Landscapes,Live rock bands, Publicty, Editorial and Fine Art Photography. B&W exposure,processing and printing and the materials involved.Toning and dying B&W materials,especially the Colorvir process.Using High contrast ortho film.Intaglio printmaking.Presentation of Photographs.Exhibiting Photography.Photographing Paintings and other two dimensional Art.

Thirty years experience. Freelance work in Editorial,Publicity, Portraiture,Landscape,Rock and Roll, Weddings in 6x6 and 35mm. Black and white processing, printing and toning.Intaglio printing and the Colorvir system of toners and dyes for B&W prints.

Western Australian College of Teaching. Saatchi Gallery (London). Art Gallery Australia.

Western Review

Certificate in Photography. Bachelor of Arts Degree,Diploma in Education.Giving regular One day Workshops in Photography in Western Australia. Various seminars in film-based Photography.Registered and practising Secondary teacher