Photography/Property release

Question
I am a location photographer gathering research for a book which takes me to six major cities around my home domain. Although the main focus is on the subject in the foreground, sometimes in the background an identifiable venue may pop up such as "Ernest Tubbs Record Shop or even McDonalds." My question is....because this may be for financial gain, to avoid further legal repercussions will I need a release of some sort from these businesses?

Answer
Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

You may need a Property Release from the businesses. This could become complex if the business is owned by one person and the property is owned by someone else. You should check the legal position in your country. A Publisher or advertising agency would know the position. I can't give specific advice here as I'm in a different country.

The only other suggestions I can offer are: 1) avoid including the business names etc in the background or 2) fade out the names etc using the depth of field control.

For other tips on Photography, please visit my website lawrencemarshallphotography.com

Lawrence Marshall

Photography

Lawrence Marshall