Photography/LED arrays

Hi Steve,
I have read some of your great articles in Crafts Report and other jewelry making web sites. In a recent article about one light crafts photography, you refer to a 160 LED array putting out 1280 lumens powered by rechargeable batteries.  I've seen lots of stuff like this but they all seem to mount on a hot shoe.  Can you give me a source or product name for a model that can be tripod mounted for taking jewelry shots?

Thank you for your kind words about my articles. The 160 LED array I have was bought on eBay from a company in China. The unit has a hot shoe mount BUT there is also a standard tripod thread at the bottom of the hot shoe mount so it works for both.

Check out eBay and look carefully at the mounts.It should be no problem to find one.

Steve Meltzer

I am a professional photographer and I've been shooting for newspapers, magazines, commercial clients and artists for over 30 years. I have shot stock photography for dozens of years and in 1977 created West Stock (Seattle, WA) which was one of the first to produce stock photo CDs and later one of the first to establish an online stock photo slaes site. I have a new book on digital photography "PHOTOGRAPHING ARTS, CRAFTS AND COLLECTIBLES (Lark Books, 2007)which is available at, and in bookstores like Barnes & Noble and Borders. I have another book, CAPTURE THE LIGHT which will be puiblished in November, 2008. I write 20-30 feature articles and columns for regional and national publications a year. My education includes studying with photographers like Cornell Capa, Duane Michels and Oliver Gagliani (from the Ansel Adams Center.)