Photography/Choosing lens for canon 70d

Hi Akshay, I am in need of help in choosing camera lens, as I'm a newbie to photography. I mainly do video semi-professional wedding work. Now planning to do some wedding photography...I just got the canon 70D with the kit lense 18-135mm STM F3.5-5.6 and wondering what is the best option in terms of having few lense and meeting the most needs while having sharper pics (I guess a better balance without having to change lense often). I will also be using this camera as 2nd camera for videography as well (most likely not at the same wedding).

So right now, it's important to have good low light performance, good depth of field effect ..and some wide angle shots at the beginning or end of the wedding for poses. I will also be traveling this summer and thought wide angle would play well for that too. My budget is $2000 unless there is a very good reason to go higher, then I don't mind.  

1) CANON EF-S 10-22MM 3.5-4.5 USM LENS -$650
2) SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 (no IS)  -$850

3) CANON EF-S 17-55MM F2.8 IS USM LENS -$950

4) SIGMA OS 70-200MM F2.8 EX DG HSM CANON -$1200
5) CANON EF 70-200MM F2.8L IS II USM LENS -$2,200

So, when I was at the camera shop, they recommended #1 for wide, and #5 for all time usage
what do you think? Also, is it worth getting extended warranty on camera lens?

Sorry for the very long message, but wanted explain this fully..and your help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks very much!!

Hi there!
No apologies needed, long questions are always welcome.

I would have to (mostly) concur with the advice of the camera shop. For your requirements, those seem to be the best choices in lenses.

However, I don't think you necessarily need to go with the L series 70-200/2.8 (Canon).

The Sigma (there's an equivalent choice of lens by Tamron as well) will suffice for the most part, although it would behoove you to read a review or two.
If it is to your liking, I'd advise you to go for the latest iteration of the lens; the link you supplied for the Sigma lens seems to be the older version.
Or perhaps it's the latest lens and is listed incorrectly on the website. Check with the store, perhaps. has great reviews if you'd like to save a few bucks:

For a good depth of field effect -and I'm presuming you mean wafer thin slices of focus here- the faster the lens, the better the effect will be. Large, wide apertures (2.8 or faster) will give you that cinematic depth of field that really makes your subjects pop.
Of course this will also help with low light performance, as well as autofocus. It's for these very reasons that fast lenses are desirable.
Note that unless you have two camera bodies, you'll definitely be changing lenses at least when you want to go from telephoto to wide or vice versa.

On another note, I'd advise you to sell the kit lens. The range of focal lengths it offers is useful, but kit lenses usually leave a lot to be desired.

One alternative that you might want to think about that will save you money overall is trading in your current kit lens for a better all-purpose lens.
Two lenses that you could consider:

The Sigma 24-105mm f/4.0 DG OS HSM. You won't have an ultra-wide focal length, but it'll suffice for most situations.

There's also the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD which I've generally heard good things about. It has a few drawbacks, but then all wide-to-telephoto lenses do.

Before you take the plunge, see if you can somehow try out at least some of these lenses from a local store. You'll get a better idea of how they handle.

I hope that helps. Happy shooting!

Akshay Singh Jamwal

I'm a professional photographer and I can answer questions questions relating to SLRs (35mm or DSLRs) and general photographic technique. I'll be happy to share my knowledge with anybody who's looking to learn or is just plain confused about something. Questions about studio lighting, studio flashes, and flashguns are also welcome. Questions about theory (e.g. colour theory, guidelines behind composition, depth of field, etc.) are welcome as well. Digital photography also involves some amount of post-processing using an image editing application such as Adobe Photoshop; a program that I am proficient with. I cannot answer typical generic questions, viz. "Which is the best camera?," as the short and sweet answer to questions such as those is "There is no such thing." Furthermore, there is a lot of literature available on the web pertaining to the same. Also, please do not ask me for camera recommendations based on a budget.

I have been passionately taking photographs since I was 13 years old. In totality, I've been involved in photography in one way or another for over a decade. I've used various cameras (and lighting equipment) over the years, including but not limited to Minolta/Konica Minolta, Nikon, Canon, and Mamiya.

High school degree.