Photography/Looks rich in Camera LCD but not in PC

Hello Steve,

I am a beginner in this field. I love taking landscapes, cityscapes, streets and scenes that are rich in color. But, the biggest problem I am facing is that the photos that i take looks good in the Camera LCD, exactly what I want but, once I upload it into my laptop, it looks dull and not up to my expectations. I understand that both are different display and the setting may vary. I am using full brightness in both the devices. I am using canon 60D with 18-55 mm lens. Please, help me tackle this issue and let me know what should I do to overcome this.

It is pretty difficult to analyze pictures I can't see on gear I can't see. LCDs have a wide latitude and sometimes images look too bright or too dark but are perfectly fine.So a few quesses.

If you are shooting in Auto mode and there is alot of sky in the photo the camera tends to underexpose pixs.

Shoot in P mode and use the exposure compensation control (the =/- button) at +1/3 or + 2/3 stop.

Full brightness can be decieving go back to a normal setting. If the images are just dull, npt too dark, try resetting the "film type" in the camera to something like Vivid or Dynamic color rather than Standard.

If you don't have photo processing software get some. Picasa ( is a free download. Use it to adjust the lighting, color and contrast.  

Steve Meltzer

I am a professional photographer and I've been shooting for newspapers, magazines, commercial clients and artists for over 30 years. I have shot stock photography for dozens of years and in 1977 created West Stock (Seattle, WA) which was one of the first to produce stock photo CDs and later one of the first to establish an online stock photo slaes site. I have a new book on digital photography "PHOTOGRAPHING ARTS, CRAFTS AND COLLECTIBLES (Lark Books, 2007)which is available at, and in bookstores like Barnes & Noble and Borders. I have another book, CAPTURE THE LIGHT which will be puiblished in November, 2008. I write 20-30 feature articles and columns for regional and national publications a year. My education includes studying with photographers like Cornell Capa, Duane Michels and Oliver Gagliani (from the Ansel Adams Center.)