Photography/legal question about images...

Question
Hi Mark, I appreciate your offer to answer questions. I have a legal question. firstly I live in UK if that matters. can one take random pictures and sell them or use it for commercial purpose like random pictures of landscapes, forest, rivers or random buildings, places, etc. I understand that if one sells an image with someone's face in it might cause concern but I am just talking about landscapes, forests, city, etc keeping in mind that the landscape, forest, rivers or building, etc is probably someone's property. your help will be very helpful, thanks.

Answer
UK may be different, but the basic rule is if it's a landscape it's public domain. Now the minute something is used for advertizing (not nature), it's a different story. You may be able to use House of Parliament freely while Harrods' may be off limits.  In the US, you can use almost anything for editorial purpose if it's a public event, person or building.

Hope that helps.

Mark  

Photography

Mark Gluckman