Photography/Need to decide a camera

Question
Hi Dave,

I am Aditya from India. I am learning photography and need to upgrade to a DSLR from a point and shoot camera. I have a limited budget and have shortlisted 3-4 camera options. I would really appreciate if you could help me in choosing the right option.
The options that Iíve shortlisted are as below:
Nikon D3300
Canon 600D
Canon 1200D

Answer
Hi Aditya,

Sorry that I've been away from computers for a bit...and couldn't answer you earlier! As a user of both Nikon and Canon equipment, I can say that all the models you list are probably very good. In general, I've heard that some photographers find Nikon images to be a little "cool" in coloration...tending slightly toward blue. So you might find Canon images to be "warmer," if that's important to you.

I'm not sure that anyone (except working pros) really needs 24-megapixel cameras like the Nikon D3300. Unless you plan to make big prints of your images, that's probably too much resolution for your purposes. And the lower-resolution Canon models will probably produce cleaner images in dim light. I can't promise that, but higher-resolution digital sensors often produce more "chroma noise" in low-light images.

But have you also considered any of the smaller "mirrorless" cameras from Fuji, Sony, Nikon and others? They also take interchangeable lenses (even inexpensive classic lenses from film SLRs)... but are much more portable than DSLRs. You might want to look at them too.

To be honest, though, YOU are the only one who can decide which camera is best for you! So go to a good camera store, hold different models in your hands, and take a few photos. Very often, your hands will tell you which camera is the best! That's because a TRULY best camera is one that you'll pick up and carry every day. And if a camera isn't comfortable in your hands, you'll rarely pick it up. This is especially important for someone like you who is upgrading to a full DSLR from a smaller point-and-shoot!

In general, cameras have become so good that...based on specs alone...it's hard to go wrong with any manufacturer or model. So let your hands tell whether a specific unit is best for you.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Dave

Photography

Dave Powell