Photography/B&W photography

Question
B&W
B&W  
Hey Steve,
First of all thank you in advance for your help. I have a question about Black & White photography. If you look at the attached photo, it's not just a typical b&w photo taken by a cam switched to b&w mode, it has some special effect that makes it like old, vintage and amazing photo taken by an old camera, a photo that makes you travel back in time. My question is: Does this type of photography has a name? Does it require a special type of camera or lens? Or it is generated by Photoshop?
Thank you again,
Youssef

Answer
Hi Youssef,
Thank you for your question, this is really just black and white photography with a few effects added. In this case, I would guess that some grain has been added, plus some tonal contrast, to give a more structured look to the image.  There are a number of different softwares available for this type of work, but by far the most comprehensive in my view is Nik Silver Efex Pro  https://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/silver-efex-pro/

This gives plenty of different ways to treat black and whites, and you can experiment endlessly to find your own favourite method and style.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Steve  

Photography

Steve Ramsden