Photography/Digital Camera interface with USB Flash drive.

Question
Dear Akshay

Is it possible to interface Digital Camera with USB Flash drive?.

Instead of saving photo images in the internal Camera memory, Can they be saved in external USB Flash drive?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hi Prashant, it's been a while since you asked me a question. Hope you're doing well!

Well, in a sense. There are spy gadgets in the market that are cameras and video recorders that are shaped like (and have functional) USB flash drives:

Gadgets and gear.com: USB Flash Drive Hidden Camera and Audio Recorder

There's no dedicated camera (i.e. a compact camera DSLR, or even a phone camera) that I know of that is capable of directly interfacing with a USB flash drive.
Understandably so: as megapixels have increased over the years, so has the total data that needs to be quickly transferred to a memory card. Flash drives, unlike, say SD or CF cards, don't really have a set of standards. Transfer rates can thus vary immensely; some are really slow. Form factors can also be very different. Some slide out, others have caps, etc. The only ports that cameras come with are either mini or micro uSB, and those are for interfacing with computers, not memory.

However, there are two indirect solutions that I can think of:

1. Use an EyeFi card and instantaneously transfer photos to a computer from where you could transfer to a USB flash drive.

2. You can shoot tethered to a computer with a DSLR, and then configure a program like Lightroom to write data directly to a USB flash drive.

I can't think of any other way you could do this, but if I should, I'll update this answer.

Happy shooting!

Akshay.

Photography

Akshay Singh Jamwal