Photography/Warped Stereoview Cards

I have many Stereoview Cards that are curved, Is there a method to straighten them out without damaging them? Should I even try to straighten then?

1910\'s Grand Canyon stereo card set by Underwood & Underwood
1910's Grand Canyon st  
Hello Jay,

No-o-o-o-o!!! If the cards are curved top to bottom, that's not "warp", that's what the manufacturer intended! In the better quality true photographic stereo cards produced by Keystone, Underwood, H.C. White, and several other top makers from the 1890's into the 1920's, that curve was there to enhance the three dimensional effect when seen in a standard stereo viewer! If you attempt to flatten the cards, you will most likely crack the cardboard and wreck them. In the attached image please see a perfect set of stereo cards from my personal collection made by Underwood & Underwood in the 1910's showing views of the Grand Canyon, and they are all properly curved, just the way they came from the factory.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique, classic, and contemporary cameras, as well as the general history of photography. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm. I can identify and appraise them, explain how they work, and offer insights on their restoration and care. I can also provide historical background on vintage cameras and equipment, and guidelines on their purchase and sale.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for nearly 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at: