Photography/Capturing Rainbow Images.

Dear Akshay

Can we capture Rainbow images using Telescopes as well as Digital Cameras?

Hi Prashant,

If you mean photographs of rainbows, sure, I don't see why not. You'll need a telescope that is equipped with an in-built camera such as these:

Alternatively,  you can just attach a DSLR to a telescope  using an adapter such as this:

Note that this may not always be possible, since not all telescopes are capable of being attached to a camera. This is especially true of cheaper models.

Regardless, it is certainly possible. I'm not sure why you'd want to use a telescope for photographing rainbows though. A DSLR with a telephoto lens will fare much better.

Warm regards and happy shooting,

Akshay Singh Jamwal

I'm a professional photographer and I can answer questions questions relating to SLRs (35mm or DSLRs) and general photographic technique. I'll be happy to share my knowledge with anybody who's looking to learn or is just plain confused about something. Questions about studio lighting, studio flashes, and flashguns are also welcome. Questions about theory (e.g. colour theory, guidelines behind composition, depth of field, etc.) are welcome as well. Digital photography also involves some amount of post-processing using an image editing application such as Adobe Photoshop; a program that I am proficient with. I cannot answer typical generic questions, viz. "Which is the best camera?," as the short and sweet answer to questions such as those is "There is no such thing." Furthermore, there is a lot of literature available on the web pertaining to the same. Also, please do not ask me for camera recommendations based on a budget.

I have been passionately taking photographs since I was 13 years old. In totality, I've been involved in photography in one way or another for over a decade. I've used various cameras (and lighting equipment) over the years, including but not limited to Minolta/Konica Minolta, Nikon, Canon, and Mamiya.

High school degree.