Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Mallet Finger After Splint

Bruce W. wrote at 2009-03-05 04:06:47
Unfortunately, I had mallet finger (middle finger, left hand)and immediately went to the hand surgeon. Splinted it for 8 weeks, and still a "droop." He recommended surgery after that point, and put a metal rod through the joint. Had it on for about 8 or 9 weeks. He took out the rod and it slowly went back to the droop position. He is a fine surgeon and I am not disappointed with him. It just didn't work in my case. I am adding to this commentary only to say that sometimes the finger will NOT recover. It's just the way it goes.

Deiter wrote at 2014-03-01 03:19:07
I can't believe it was mallet finger if it healed on its own without a splint or tight wrapping.  You do a disservice suggesting not seeing a physician.

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Richard Haynes PTA/CPT