Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Mallet Finger After Splint

Bruce W. wrote at 2009-03-05 04:06:47
Unfortunately, I had mallet finger (middle finger, left hand)and immediately went to the hand surgeon. Splinted it for 8 weeks, and still a "droop." He recommended surgery after that point, and put a metal rod through the joint. Had it on for about 8 or 9 weeks. He took out the rod and it slowly went back to the droop position. He is a fine surgeon and I am not disappointed with him. It just didn't work in my case. I am adding to this commentary only to say that sometimes the finger will NOT recover. It's just the way it goes.

Deiter wrote at 2014-03-01 03:19:07
I can't believe it was mallet finger if it healed on its own without a splint or tight wrapping.  You do a disservice suggesting not seeing a physician.

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Richard Haynes PTA/CPT

I can answer questions regarding joint replacement exercises related to physical therapy and fitness programs. I can answer questions related to pain medications frequency or duration during joint replacement or other orthopedic injuries. I also address older adult fitness questions regarding strengthening and conditioning after orthopedic injuries and joint replacements. Please go to if you would like to receive a cutomized exercise program designed for you. Click on Products/Services page for further information.

I have worked with joint replacements both knees and hips primarily since 1995. I have had a knee replaced myself in 1999. I have worked with orthopedic surgical patients both elective and non- elective since 1995

American Physical Therapy Association since 1994/ American Council on Exercise since 2000.

graduated from Saint Petersburg College in 1995 with an associates degree in physical therapy. Certified personal trainer since 2000 with the American Council on Exercise.