Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Elbow Clicking

Question
Elbow Pain
Elbow Pain  
Hello, I want to thank you for allowing people like myself to ask you questions relating to your expertise.

I started going to the gym and I noticed a clicking sound in my left elbow. Here is a link to a video on youtube of what it sounds and looks like exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zZmswABLvE

I ignored it initially but I kept doing my exercises. After a few workouts I finally started to feel some pain in my forearm. If I was standing with my arms to my side the pain would be on my left forearm, on the farther part of my body, between the ulna and the radius. About an inch down from my elbow joint.

When I'm in the gym I can't do more than 75 lbs on the bench press because the clicking in the elbow is bothering me too much. I know I have the potential to do much more but I wont be able to progress on the chest press with this problem.

This has been bothering me for a while. I went to the doctor but he said I didn't have anything. If you know what it is off the top of your head could you tell me what this could be? Or what kind of doctor should I go to? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Answer
This could be a few different things.  

1.  Torn common extensor tendon or lateral epicondylitis.  This refers to a complex of tendons that extend the wrist/digits.  If you have a partial tear this may be a cause for clicking.

2.  Snapping triceps.  This isn't common but could be it.  If the triceps is torn sometimes it will cause snapping.

3.  Radial head arthritis.  Likely not the cause but more common than #2.

What I would do if I were you is go see a board certified hand surgeon.  You can find one near you at www.assh.org.

Good luck and lay off the weights until you find out what's going on.

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE