Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/ruptured L-5

Question
QUESTION: My 23 year old son has had moderate to severe lower back pain/sciatica for the past 4-5 months. An MRI showed that the L-5 is ruptured.  My son has been receiving PT and traction which has not helped.  He had an epidural which helped for about two weeks and then the pain returned.  One day, he had to lean into the wall to support his body while walking to the bathroom.  He had a second epidural three days ago and is continuing with pt/traction three times a week. How long do we go with the conservative route before seeing a spinal orthopedist?

ANSWER: HI Roxy,

I'm sorry to hear about the pain your son is in.  Sometimes a best solution is a surgical intervention, although it's best to avoid this if possible.
There is no reason to wait to see an orthopedic surgeon.  Seeing a surgeon doesn't mean you must do surgery.  I advise you go and discuss the options that are laid out. I also advise seeing several doctors, there are usually more than one surgical solution advised.  

The epidurals haven't shown themselves to be much help.  I am assuming that an MRI was done.

Has your son tried any kind of corset like back support?  This may help reduce compression of nerve roots.

Sometimes though surgery is really the best solution.  Younger aged people who have a significant disc bulge sometimes do worse that middle aged people with a bulge because young people have more volume and material in the central part of the disc that displaces with the rupture.

Best regards,

Rachel

QUESTION: Is a spinal doctor or a neurosurgeon the best type of doctor to see if surgery is being considered?

Answer
That is a good question.  Primarily you need to do your homework and ask your local trusted sources such as your family doctor.  You can see several doctors.  Seek help from a surgeon whether its a neurosurgeon or an orthopedic spine doctor.  Ask lots of questions, and be sure you feel comfortable with your decisions.

Best regards, Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP