Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/broken wrist

I broke my left wrist on Dec 7 2012. They put in a plate and 7 screws on Dec 11, 2012. I have had several pain in my middle finger. At first it was warm to the touch, but that has gotten a little better. It still has a  constant trob and feels very stiff. The only time it feels better is to put a ice pack on it. It is numb on the outside of my finger and into the palm of my hand. My other fingers are a little numb but no pain. Could it be coming from the plate and screws? It is going on a month and the pain in my finger is no better. This is also strange after surgery I couldn't take pain medicine it made my hand and fingers fill like they were on fire.

Sounds like stage 1 CRPS.  Go to your surgeon and if they can't help you further go see a board certified hand surgeon.  Go to

They may put you on neurontin...that's common.

Also, you'll likely need therapy to desensitize the upper extremity.  Only go to a certified hand therapist...find one at

You need a program of stress loading, TENS unit, etc.

Good luck!

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE

I can answer questions about both conservative and post-operative rehabilitation for UPPER extremity injuries. These include but are not limited to: fractures, tendon repairs, tendon transfers, nerve repairs, lacerations, tenolysis procedures, TFCC injuries, repetitive motion disorders, reconstructive procedures. I have an advanced knowledge of UPPER extremity anatomy and industrial rehabilitation. I have extensive splinting skills for injuries to the upper extremity. Although not a physician or a surgeon I have worked closely with world renowned upper extremity specialists for over 10 years. I can give general information on what some of the most common upper extremity surgeries involve. I can reference those procedures as well. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NECK, SHOULDER, ARM/HAND. I'M NOT QUALIFIED AND KNOW ABSOLUTELY ZERO ABOUT BACKS/HIPS/KNEES/ANKLES/ETC. THANK YOU!!!

10+ years working closely with orthopedic and hand surgeons and their patients. I have treated patients with small lacerations to major reconstructive procedures. My knowledge base includes both conservative and post-operative rehab protocols and care for upper extremity injuries. I have treated patients all the way from day 1 post-op to return-to-work status.

Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association American Society of Hand Therapy National Nurses in Business Association Roy Matheson and Associates

RSD article

Occupational Therapist former Certified Hand Therapist (license currently inactive) Deep Physical Agent Modalities Instructor Certified Work Capacity Evaluator