Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/broken wrist

Question
I broke my left wrist on Dec 7 2012. They put in a plate and 7 screws on Dec 11, 2012. I have had several pain in my middle finger. At first it was warm to the touch, but that has gotten a little better. It still has a  constant trob and feels very stiff. The only time it feels better is to put a ice pack on it. It is numb on the outside of my finger and into the palm of my hand. My other fingers are a little numb but no pain. Could it be coming from the plate and screws? It is going on a month and the pain in my finger is no better. This is also strange after surgery I couldn't take pain medicine it made my hand and fingers fill like they were on fire.

Answer
Sounds like stage 1 CRPS.  Go to your surgeon and if they can't help you further go see a board certified hand surgeon.  Go to www.assh.org.

They may put you on neurontin...that's common.

Also, you'll likely need therapy to desensitize the upper extremity.  Only go to a certified hand therapist...find one at www.asht.org.

You need a program of stress loading, TENS unit, etc.

Good luck!

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE