Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/My finger's nerve reconstruction and healing

Question
Hello Mr. Neville,
My right hand's second finger, the one next to the smallest finger, was cut by a large knife.  ER stitched it and I had a reconstructive surgery within six days.  The surgeon claimed the nerve would regrow at a rate of one inch per month.  By now, January 27, 2013, it has been a little more than four months.  I noticed about one inch of growth after the first month.  However, no more growth after that.  The surgeon had told me about two months ago that the full growth may take up to one year.  The other day he said he thinks that there will be no new growth and he cannot do anything more for me. I am taking the matter into my own hands now.  I have had no OT beyond just the first few visits immediately after the surgery.  Is there any exercise or stretching I can use specifically for this finger that would stimulate the nerve over time?  If yes, how often?  Any other treatment or visiting physical rehabilitation medicine clinic, which is usually reserved for lower body?

Answer
Unfortunately I have bad news.  There really isn't much you can do for it.  It does in fact take up to a year for nerves to heal completely.  The fact of it is that the nerve is so small in the finger that it's not easy to get a good repair on it.  It simply is difficult.

The good news is that if it's your ring finger you probably won't miss the loss of sensation much.  If it were your index finger or thumb I'd be worried.  In the big scheme of things you probably won't notice it much FUNCTIONALLY.  Easier said from my point of view than yours.

Good luck and hang in there.  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE