Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Tight Hamstring Muscle

Question
Hi, I've had a continuing problem with Hamstring tightness in my right leg.  It hurts a bit and just has a general tightness feel.  I had it a few months ago, it lasted maybe a month in a half then.  I iced it and rested a lot, but it took a long time to heal.  It went away, but haven't been stretching as much as I should have and now it has now returned.  Could you please give me ways I can help heal it faster and then to prevent it from coming back?  Would ice and heat help, should I stretch it while it is still hurting, would massage help, would stretching and massage combination help?  Thank you so much, I appreciate it

Jim

Answer
Dear Jim,

Your hamstring will heal especially if you figure out some of the reasons it was strained.

Some people tend to be tighter in their muscles overall.  You may be like this.  

There is also the influence from how you use your hamstring muscles that can be part of the trouble.  For example, if you sit for long periods with your knees bent under your chair and you sit rolled back to the back edge of the bony part of your butt (technically called the ischial tuberosities, or "sitz bones") you will habituate your hamstrings to functioning very short.  Stretching will always be a struggle.

It this sounds like you, change your sitting position to up on the center of the butt bones and legs reached out straighter at the knees.  Your low back muscles will have to start to work for you too.  Better for the health of your back in the long haul.

Combine this change with gentle stretching, long and slow. Let pain be your guide and stay out of it. Massage is a great adjunct.

Happy New Year,

Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP