Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/3 months post wrist fracture with plate/screws

Question
QUESTION: Hi Brian,
I first want to thank you for helping with my prior question about getting PT for my wrist.  I saw my surgeon 2x post surgery.  He told me with all I do daily, that would suffice and I didnt need therapy.  Anyway, it has been just about 3 months.  The other day I noticed increased pain on the thumb side of my wrist.  The worst is parallel to my surgical incision, about an inch or two below thumb. It is now very swollen, and I am getting shooting pain.  Very tender to touch, and redish.  My wrist is more stiff than even before.  Should I make an appointment to go back and see ortho?  Do you have any ideas whatthis could be?  I'm having trouble with anything that involves my right hand.  Even sleep is difficult.
Thanks again!
Chris

ANSWER: That sounds like DeQuervain's stenosing tenosynovitis.  Look it up.  Yes I would go see ortho but I'd recommend someone board certified in hand and upper extremity surgery.  Also, if you can find an over the counter thumb spica brace at Walgreen's etc it may help.

QUESTION: Brian,
You hit it on the nose. It was  DeQuervain's tenosynovitis.  He injgected
a cortisone shot with noviacaine.  He said he was stunned at my pain threshold.  But, he may need to go back in surgically and cut the band .
.

Answer
Glad to hear it.  I'd still suggest getting an OTC thumb spica splint to rest the inflammed tissue (muscles of the first dorsal wrist compartment) and allow it to heal.  The good news is that it's a relatively easy surgery if you have to have the compartment released.  Just make sure you're going to a good surgeon.

Good luck!

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE