Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/pins and rods

Question
hope you can help me,im 80 years old and not a good candidate for surgery with diabetes and atrial fibberation for which I take elliquis a blood thinner.4 years ago I broke my right arm and the orthopedic put in metal rods with hinges and pins about 8 inches  on the other side of my arm opposite the forearm.now 4 years later area above elbow is swollen and light red.very sorebut no bad pain only tender with mild pain.i think a pin or metal rod is starting to  move closer to the skin.i don't think ita a infection when I touch red area feel no pain  only boney tissue.i don't want operation.will it stay the same or eventually  rupture thru skin.anything besides surgery,what happens if I do nothing and leave it alone with diabetes and blood thinners im not crazy for operation.only area that is inflamed is 4 inches above elbow lunp is a little smaller then golf ball.im chicken about operation and complatations.your advice is needed

Answer
It likely won't rupture through the skin but your MD can give you a local anesthetic and remove the hardware more than likely.  If it's prominent and the bone is well healed then it may be a matter of a small incision and then pulling it out.  Shouldn't be a big deal....but you know what they say - it's only a small surgery if it's someone else's surgery.

I hope this helps  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE