Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/pins and rods

hope you can help me,im 80 years old and not a good candidate for surgery with diabetes and atrial fibberation for which I take elliquis a blood thinner.4 years ago I broke my right arm and the orthopedic put in metal rods with hinges and pins about 8 inches  on the other side of my arm opposite the 4 years later area above elbow is swollen and light red.very sorebut no bad pain only tender with mild pain.i think a pin or metal rod is starting to  move closer to the skin.i don't think ita a infection when I touch red area feel no pain  only boney tissue.i don't want operation.will it stay the same or eventually  rupture thru skin.anything besides surgery,what happens if I do nothing and leave it alone with diabetes and blood thinners im not crazy for operation.only area that is inflamed is 4 inches above elbow lunp is a little smaller then golf chicken about operation and complatations.your advice is needed

It likely won't rupture through the skin but your MD can give you a local anesthetic and remove the hardware more than likely.  If it's prominent and the bone is well healed then it may be a matter of a small incision and then pulling it out.  Shouldn't be a big deal....but you know what they say - it's only a small surgery if it's someone else's surgery.

I hope this helps  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE

I can answer questions about both conservative and post-operative rehabilitation for UPPER extremity injuries. These include but are not limited to: fractures, tendon repairs, tendon transfers, nerve repairs, lacerations, tenolysis procedures, TFCC injuries, repetitive motion disorders, reconstructive procedures. I have an advanced knowledge of UPPER extremity anatomy and industrial rehabilitation. I have extensive splinting skills for injuries to the upper extremity. Although not a physician or a surgeon I have worked closely with world renowned upper extremity specialists for over 10 years. I can give general information on what some of the most common upper extremity surgeries involve. I can reference those procedures as well. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NECK, SHOULDER, ARM/HAND. I'M NOT QUALIFIED AND KNOW ABSOLUTELY ZERO ABOUT BACKS/HIPS/KNEES/ANKLES/ETC. THANK YOU!!!

10+ years working closely with orthopedic and hand surgeons and their patients. I have treated patients with small lacerations to major reconstructive procedures. My knowledge base includes both conservative and post-operative rehab protocols and care for upper extremity injuries. I have treated patients all the way from day 1 post-op to return-to-work status.

Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association American Society of Hand Therapy National Nurses in Business Association Roy Matheson and Associates

RSD article

Occupational Therapist former Certified Hand Therapist (license currently inactive) Deep Physical Agent Modalities Instructor Certified Work Capacity Evaluator