Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/PT for pinched nerve, cervical radiculopathy

Question
Two months ago I sustained a cervical spine injury I believe from doing a yoga pose (shoulderstand into plow).  I am 51 and normally in excellent shape.

I had pain for 2-3 weeks through the shoulder, down the right arm and into the fingers.  Pain is gone and I am left with a weak triceps (right) and numb right index finger.  My right hand is somewhat crampy.  Some numbness along the middle finger inside. I had an MRI that showed bulging discs and narrowing of the neuroforamen at C6 (amongst other things).

Was told by a neurologist today (who I very much trust and respect) that I will  require surgery to decompress the nerve (most likely an ACDF).  He also said there is no guarantee that the weakness will improve. this is very concerning as this is my right arm.  My neurosurgery appointment is in 2 weeks.

I was hoping to recover with PT/cervical traction and have had one visit where the PT said he used manual traction with little response on my symptoms.  I'm really worried about having surgery. Have you seen people with significant muscle weakness recover without surgery?  I was told I need to have surgery sooner rather than later.

thanks!

Answer
Dear Susan,
I will give you 2 answers.  

One, I rarely see someone who has weakness due to nerve compression so I don't have a large pool of clinical experience with the motor component of nerve impingement.

Two, I often see people with the sensory component giving pain.  These patients often have the pain resolve and avoid surgery.

Have you been tried on a strong course of anti-inflammatant medication?  Here are two options both worth exploring along with continued PT.
Oral Prednisone.  Secondly one or more spinal epidurals is less involved than surgery.

If you were doing fairly well prior to the yoga overload on your neck you may be able to get back to that without surgery.  The weakness is a clear concern.  Discuss these other options with your surgeon.

Good luck.  Please feel free to write me back and let me know  what you tried and how it worked.

Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP