Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Knees

I am 55, no major health issues except being somewhat overweight-not obese.
Three years ago I tore the meniscus in both knees playing soccer. They have not been the same since. I did some physio, including acupuncture, and do daily stretches. They cant take much weight exewrcises anymore such as squats.
Only recently the pain went away.
The problem is that I can do any kind of low impact exercise now, but they cant any type of running, although walking is OK.
With summer coming, I have 'retired' from sports, but  I still want to be able to run around with my grandchildren.
Can you suggest anything that would help, or is this the price you pay for old age?
If I was really commited, I could probably lose 10 or 15 pounds by summer, although as I mentioned I am not that overweight and dont have high blood pressure or diabetes or any condition that would require weight loss. Would losing some weight help?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Dear Bud,
You haven't mentioned your actual weight. But You told me that you have the menisci tear in your both knees. I don't know how extent your menisci have been damaged. But important thing is now you are in old age. So your lower limbs must be so strong to bear your weight. So I just feel if it doesn't hurt mush you don't have to go for surgery. But keep in mind to do strengthening exercises for your Quadriceps and Hamstring. It will help to reduce the tension that comes to your knees.
You have asked what if, if you reduce your weight. My answer is yes. Because it reduces the tension comes to the knee joint.
Thank you.

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

MMA Ravindu Bandara

I can answer any physiotherapy related conditions.such as, 1. Any Orthopaedic condition. 2. Rheumatological conditions. 3. Neurological conditions. 4. Respiratory conditions. 5. Paediatric conditions. 6. Soft tissue managements. 7. Pr and post operative management.

I am Sri Lanka Medical Council registered physiotherapist. I have completed the Diploma in Physiotherapy in School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, Colombo in 2004. I have done my Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy in Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India in 2006. I specialize in paediatric, Orthopaedic and Neurological conditions.

1. Advanced level- Bio Science stream. 2. Diploma in Physiotherapy-School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy,Colombo, Sri Lanka. 3. Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy- Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India. 4. Bachelor of Information Technology, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.