Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Muscle injury

Question
Hello, My question regards a upper arm injury I got several years ago. About 3 years ago I was walking out of the woods carrying tackle boxes with fishing poles and other gear. I was carrying this gear mostly with my right arm, at the time I had and still do a torn muscle in my left shoulder. That was the reason I didn't switch hands. It was during a rain storm so I didn't want to stop and rest. Even if my upper right arm (meaning between my elbow and shoulder) started hurting I kept on carrying my equipment. I think I rested once for a very short period.
After I got home my arm was hurting, at the time I took some ibupropon and rubbed some aspirin cream on it. It healed somewhat but I don't think it did totally.
Whenever I use it a lot it will hurt and I have to take some sort of anti inflammatory for it. I can't understand why it didn't heal ? I thought a pulled muscle healed in a few weeks at the most. Any ideas ?
Thank You.
Doug.

Answer
HI Doug,
You have an interesting question.  It sounds like you overworked the right arm with the rainstorm carry.  I suspect the arm has healed but any strong use provokes a holding pattern in the muscles that hasn't fully gone away.

I suggest you find a resting position where your right arm can drape back alongside your torso and rest on something that enables the shoulder to drop back and the elbow to be straight.  Think of the position of a marching soldier when the arm has swung back behind.  Now reproduce that position of the shoulder lying down...like on the couch or a bed.  Give the hand a place to rest on.  Create a very gentle sensation of barely a stretch or just the sensation of tightness.  Leave the arm there for 5-7 minutes.  Do this a few times and see if it helps.  Change the resting stretch if you have numbness or other nerve or circulatory signs while doing this.  It should be a mild sensation of elongation in the shoulder.

Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP