Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Question from the TV show BONES

Hello. My name is Jon and I'm a researcher for the FOX TV show BONES. It's my job to make sure our show is as accurate as possible and I'm writing you in the hopes you can help us with a question for our next episode.

This may be a crazy question and outside your area of expertise, but your best guess is truly appreciated here. If you cannot help, we totally understand.

Here's the scenario we would like your help with.  We have a shadowy surveillance video of a man (features obscured) leaving his house and driving away in a car.  From the size and build of the man, our FBI agent thinks it is a video of Suspect A. However, when our super smart scientist, Brennan, watches the video, we would like her to be able to use kinesiology to definitively rule out Suspect A and positively ID Suspect B.  Brennan will most likely have observed both men walking prior to seeing the video and can have read medical info/records detailing previous injuries.     

Is there any statements you think she can make that would sound accurate? "Notice how he's walking BLANK? That can't be our suspect A because he had BLANK injury and wouldn’t be walking BLANK." Something sort of like that?

I hope this makes sense and truly appreciate any help you can provide here.

Dear Jon,
This is an intriguing question I'd like to think about.  I'd also like to speak with you about it.  No I don't think it's wacky, I think it's a fascinating idea that something would be so distinctly identifiable.  Just now a particular situation on a drop  foot comes to mind. Let's talk Mon, 303-875-7878.  Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP

I have expertise working with recovery from car accidents, RSD/CRPS, neck and back pain and chronic pain. I can answer questions about pain that is not responding to expected patterns of recovery. I can address pain issues that are associated with traumatic events, and veteran associated pain issues. If you have had abuse or periods of significant stress in your life, your pain issues may be more complicated. I authored A Consumer Guide for Recovery from Car Accidents which discusses many aspects of injury recovery as all as specific detail about PTSD, traumatic brain injury, and protective involuntary muscle spasm. The link is: I can't answer questions regarding pain medications, or some specifics related to surgical interventions.

I have over 30 years experience as a Physical Therapy clinician. I taught swimming in Michigan and skiing in Aspen. I have experience in analyzing movement patterns and muscle control. I treat all areas of pain in the body including headaches, neck pain, back pain, shoulder injuries, plantar fasciitis, nerve compression, and knee pain. I have had personal experience with chronic pain, RSD, car accident injuries, PTSD, and traumatic brain injury (TBI). Muscle spasm and pain is a common component of injury and response to traumatic stress. Posture patterns and habits of how your body is often used can also contribute to pain. Restoration of movement and the senses that enable you to feel it are key. Rachel developed and implemented a stress reduction program for inmates within the Boulder County jail's drug and alcohol recovery program in 2005-2006 based on trauma healing principles from Dr. Peter Levine.

Rachel holds a BS in PT from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. She has over 30 years experience as a clinician. She has over 1500 hours of post graduate continuing education in many Manual Therapy and Exercise approaches. She completed her training in Somatic Experiencing under Dr. Peter Levine in 2000. This 3 year program trains therapists in treating traumatic stress conditions. Rachel has developed a body of work integrating her training and unique insights into complex pain issues. She is the developer and instructor for Sensory-Motor Manual Therapy, which is a State approved 2 day work shop for Massage Therapists through the Boulder College of Massage Therapy.