Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Shoulder Exercises

Question
Hi Rachel,

I am a bodybuilder and when it comes to shoulder exercises, I wanted to get your opinion on what are the safer exercises to perform. I have mostly stuck with shoulder presses using dumbbells with medium to very heavy weight. I am starting to feel some shoulder pain now in my left shoulder. It is not a chronic pain or anything, but I know it is not muscle soreness and maybe more of a joint/tendon soreness?

I am concerned about sustaining a shoulder injury, so I am easing up on the shoulders at the moment.

You may already know this, but most of the old famous body builders such as Arnold Schwarzenegger all have major shoulder issues now in their later years and most of them have had surgery. I do not want this to happen to me.

Answer
Hi Steve,
I think on some level the ideals of body building and healthy shoulders are incompatible.  Many of the exercises that people do to develop muscle are extremely taxing on the tendons and joint capsules of the shoulders.
A person can be quite strong from exercise and activity that doesn't give the look of a body builder.
There is a belief that you must work a muscle throughout its possible range in order to fully train the muscle.  I don't believe this is necessary.
A general guideline is for you to move weights in a way that resembles what you would be doing in normal activities.
For example: arms forward in a push resembles real life, pulling especially with the middle trapezius and rhomboids which are scapula-thoracic muscles (like for rows) is also a very good activity.
Things I suggest you avoid are flat flys to the side.  People don't pick up heavy objects this way...its awkward and overly strenuous to the shoulders.

If you are feeling pain, you can lighten up, change your routine, and also a good plan is to consult with an expert in muscle balance and joint function which is a PT.

Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP