Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Chronic Back Pain/ FCE Test

Question
I recently had a functional capacity test done and wanted to see if you can give me an idea on what they mean exactly if possible.

Cervical Spine ROM:

Extension....Occiput 32, T1 12, my result 20, NORMAL IS 60

Lumbar Spine ROM:

Extension...T12 6, Sacrum 5, my result 1, NORMAL IS 25
Left Flexion....T12 26, Sacrum 11, my result 15, NORMAL 25

Right shoulder:

Flexion...164, NORMAL 180
Extension....70, NORMAL 50
Abduction...144, NORMAL 160
Internal Rotation....15, NORMAL 90

Hip ROM:

Extension...15, NORMAL 30
Abduction...37, NORMAL 45

Knees ROM:

Right: Flexion 137, NORMAL 150
Left: Flexion 133, NORMAL 150

I had a work related injury and felt a pop in the area between my shoulder blade and spine 2 1/2 years ago.  I have been to chiropractor, acupuncture, PT, electric stimulation and nothing has helped.  

I have also taken MRI's and CT-scan and everything is fine and my doctors don't know where my pain is coming from.  I have been diagnosed with chronic back pain.  Do you have any idea?

Need help!

Thanks

Mark

Answer
Dear Mark,

Sounds to me like a chronic entrenched muscle spasm in a deep muscle that controls movement around a joint between a rib and it's spine segment. Ribs have two joints that connect them to their respective vertebra, and they can get "stuck" in a part of their normal movement and not get unhitched very easily.

I will give you a link to an exercise I made up that remarkably gets to these little muscles. Try it for a week every day and report back to me if you'd like.  It is posted in my website under self help.  Hope you like the humor...I tried to keep it from being a bore.  

http://mindbodyphysicaltherapy.com/2013/02/magic-carpet-back-exercise-2/

I will skip comments on the FCE test...it's not particularly helpful....it doesn't look at how each spine/rib segment is really functioning...just the big picture.

I wish you well and welcome your feedback.

Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP