Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/tendon reattachmen surgery

Question
Hi.
I cut my big toe three weeks ago and doctor said the tendon of my big toe completely severed and i had a reattachment surgery immediately. I have cast since the surgery and as my doctor said i must remove it today. And now i dont know what must i do? Which type of shoe i must wear? Can i driving? Can i walking and running or do sport easily? I dont know after cares and physical therapies,please help me. Thanks.

Answer
Dear Soheila,
It's always important to ask your surgeon what your limits are.

In general I think it best to continue to protect the big toe as you begin walking in "regular" shoes.  Avoid any heels for at least a month.  A shoe with a stiff sole is often better than one that bends easily.

As you walk, take shorter steps and avoid a hard push off the toes for a month or two.

I don't know what sports you do but start with walking and get that comfortable before progressing back to running.  Again...ask your doctor.

Best wishes for complete healing.

Rachel

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Rachel Katz, PT, SEP