Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/comminuted fracture femur

Question
Two weeks ago, my 58 year old husband slipped on ice by our front steps and suffered a comminuted fracture right below the area where the femur connects to the hip.  He is taking Coumadin for an artificial aortic valve.  He was in the hospital for six days post op to stabilize the Coumadin levels and then transported to a rehab facility.  He has been in the rehab for one week. At this point, he is able to sit at the edge of the bed using a trapeze and then use a walker (light pressure on surgical leg) to transfer to a wheel chair. The physical therapist and rehab doctor both said that the alignment and leg length are excellent.  The surgeon has concerns about bone density. He took an x-ray during a post op check today and said that the alignment is good but as he predicted, there is evidence of delayed healing and he does not want my husband to put his full weight on the leg.  Right now, my husband is only to use light touch.

My husband is still experiencing significant pain from spasms when he moves the leg despite being on oxy and also Tylenol for breakthrough pain.  Is it unusual for someone to have significant spasms two weeks post op?  My husband usually does not complain about pain so this is atypical for him.

He continues to have a great deal of swelling, especially in his thigh.  The skin is shiny,taut and hurts to the touch. He was given a compression sock. How long should it take for the swelling to subside?

Answer
Dear Roxy
I answered your early question. Swelling and pain will subside if he continues the exercises well. Really it depends on the exercises. Your physio may have told him some static quads and Hams exercises. Please continue them to get better result soon.
Thank you

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

MMA Ravindu Bandara