Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Femur Fracture

Two weeks ago, my 58 year old husband slipped on ice by our front steps and suffered a comminuted fracture right below the area where the femur connects to the hip.  He is taking Coumadin for an artificial aortic valve.  He was in the hospital for six days post op to stabilize the Coumadin levels and then transported to a rehab facility.  He has been in the rehab for one week. At this point, he is able to sit at the edge of the bed using a trapeze and then use a walker (light pressure on surgical leg) to transfer to a wheel chair. The physical therapist and rehab doctor both said that the alignment and leg length are excellent.  The surgeon has concerns about bone density. He took an x-ray during a post op check today and said that the alignment is good but as he predicted, there is evidence of delayed healing and he does not want my husband to put his full weight on the leg.  Right now, my husband is only to use light touch.

My husband is still experiencing significant pain from spasms when he moves the leg despite being on oxy and also Tylenol for breakthrough pain.  Is it unusual for someone to have significant spasms two weeks post op?  My husband usually does not complain about pain so this is atypical for him.

Dear Roxy,
Since i didn't log in to the system for some days i was unable reply soon. Sorry for that. Ok let's move to your problem. The post op management is based on surgeon's opinion. Normally it takes 45 days to heal the fracture site but can be longer in older people. Usually surgeon allows to give partial weight at this point and gradually goes to full weight bearing. In your case pain and muscle spasm is normal one. It can be there sometimes for even a months. Don't worry follow the physio's instructions and exercises. Soon he will be ok.
Thank you  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

MMA Ravindu Bandara

I can answer any physiotherapy related conditions.such as, 1. Any Orthopaedic condition. 2. Rheumatological conditions. 3. Neurological conditions. 4. Respiratory conditions. 5. Paediatric conditions. 6. Soft tissue managements. 7. Pr and post operative management.

I am Sri Lanka Medical Council registered physiotherapist. I have completed the Diploma in Physiotherapy in School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, Colombo in 2004. I have done my Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy in Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India in 2006. I specialize in paediatric, Orthopaedic and Neurological conditions.

1. Advanced level- Bio Science stream. 2. Diploma in Physiotherapy-School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy,Colombo, Sri Lanka. 3. Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy- Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India. 4. Bachelor of Information Technology, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.