Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/radial head replacement/druj pinning

Question
i am 2 weeks out of surgery and start physical therapy this coming week. i had a radial head replacement and druj pinning due to my arm being crushed at work by about 35000 lbs. of cargo. i am a gym junkie and have worked out for the past 20 yrs. off and on but more so on. i know it will be awhile before i can return to my normal workout routines but my question is that of my muscle definition returning. i was just wondering approximately how long it will take for that to happen. my injury was only a month ago but my right arm looks like i have never worked out a day in my life.

Answer
You need to realize that crush injuries are some of the worst due to injuring bone, soft tissue (tendon & ligaments), etc.  They are usually accompanied with significant swelling which can be detrimental to rehab by facilitating multiple joint contractures.  Basically, you have had a very serious injury.

The DRUJ pinning alone will keep you out of the gym, lifting more than average weight, for about 6 months give or take.  The radial head replacement shouldn't be as functionally limiting.  The last thing you need to be concerned with is muscle definition.  Strength is easy to regain, stability of the wrist and elbow should be your foremost concern.  I'd stick to cardio, legs, etc until 4-6 months.  Go with the advice of your surgeon and therapist but take this very slow and worry about muscle definition down the road.

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE