Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/mallet finger recovery

I received a mallet finger injury in Feb.  I went to the dr. the day it happened and was put in a splint, which I wore for 6 wks. without taking it off, when the dr. took it off, it bent again, so they had me wear it 2 more weeks.  Then they had me take it off.  Yes it is stiff and painful at times, but I exercise it daily hoping it will work out any problems. I only splint it at night, not during the day.  My problem now is my whole hand goes numb, while driving or fishing and I have occasional shooting pains that feel like electrical shocks that shoot through my hand.  Is this normal in rehabbing this or is there something else going on?

Dear LouAnn,
I don't know how did you get this injury? while playing or..............? The Extensor Digitorum tendon may be stretched or can be rupture. Unfortunately if it has been ruptured the the pain can be there.
Please see if you can extend the last digit of your affected finger the tendon is intact. If so gentle mobilization will be more helpful. Please meet a physio.
Thank you.  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

MMA Ravindu Bandara

I can answer any physiotherapy related conditions.such as, 1. Any Orthopaedic condition. 2. Rheumatological conditions. 3. Neurological conditions. 4. Respiratory conditions. 5. Paediatric conditions. 6. Soft tissue managements. 7. Pr and post operative management.

I am Sri Lanka Medical Council registered physiotherapist. I have completed the Diploma in Physiotherapy in School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, Colombo in 2004. I have done my Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy in Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India in 2006. I specialize in paediatric, Orthopaedic and Neurological conditions.

1. Advanced level- Bio Science stream. 2. Diploma in Physiotherapy-School of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy,Colombo, Sri Lanka. 3. Advanced Diploma in Physiotherapy- Command Hospital Indian Air Force, Bangalore, India. 4. Bachelor of Information Technology, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.