Physical Rehabilitation Medicine/Shoulder issues

For the last month or so I've been having left shoulder pain and went to doctor. He believed I had a rotary cuff issue. I had my second day of PT today which seems to help somewhat. Up to now I'd assumed I had some type of tear. I got a letter from my doctor today saying that the xray shows calcification/inflammation of the rotary cuff tendon in my shoulder. That almost sounds worse. Is it? I'm only 33 so it doesn't seem calcification should be a major issue yet. And I'm worried that only surgery could remove excess bone as opposed to just letting a torn muscle relax by strengthening the others.

They would clean it up and possibly remove some bone..decompress the supraspinatus tendon possibly.  Hard for me to guess.  I'd stick with PT and see how it works...usually you can tell whether or not it's doing anything in the first 3-4 weeks.  If not then you will likely need surgery.  Just make sure you have a good shoulder MD who is recommended by those in your community.  It's very important.

Good luck, I wish I could help more but it sounds pretty straightforward.  

Physical Rehabilitation Medicine

Brian Neville, OTR/L, CWCE

I can answer questions about both conservative and post-operative rehabilitation for UPPER extremity injuries. These include but are not limited to: fractures, tendon repairs, tendon transfers, nerve repairs, lacerations, tenolysis procedures, TFCC injuries, repetitive motion disorders, reconstructive procedures. I have an advanced knowledge of UPPER extremity anatomy and industrial rehabilitation. I have extensive splinting skills for injuries to the upper extremity. Although not a physician or a surgeon I have worked closely with world renowned upper extremity specialists for over 10 years. I can give general information on what some of the most common upper extremity surgeries involve. I can reference those procedures as well. PLEASE DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NECK, SHOULDER, ARM/HAND. I'M NOT QUALIFIED AND KNOW ABSOLUTELY ZERO ABOUT BACKS/HIPS/KNEES/ANKLES/ETC. THANK YOU!!!

10+ years working closely with orthopedic and hand surgeons and their patients. I have treated patients with small lacerations to major reconstructive procedures. My knowledge base includes both conservative and post-operative rehab protocols and care for upper extremity injuries. I have treated patients all the way from day 1 post-op to return-to-work status.

Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association American Society of Hand Therapy National Nurses in Business Association Roy Matheson and Associates

RSD article

Occupational Therapist former Certified Hand Therapist (license currently inactive) Deep Physical Agent Modalities Instructor Certified Work Capacity Evaluator